Grammar Schools for people residing in Bletchley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
VSikdar

Grammar Schools for people residing in Bletchley

Post by VSikdar »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and also new to Eleven Plus. I reside in Bletchley and my son is currently in Year 4, he will start Year 5 in Sept this year. I have a few queries which are nagging me as I don't seem to find a definite answer, please can someone here be kind enough to respond -

1. I suppose my son will be sitting for the Eleven Plus in about Sept 2020, is that correct?
2. As we stay in Bletchley, should we be targetting grammar schools in Buckinghamshire or how do we go about looking for grammar schools given that I currently reside in Bletchley?
3. Does it matter which grammar school we apply for or do we have to reside near a grammar school?
4. Does Milton Keynes fall under Buckinghamshire at all, I thought it did but somewhere I read that Milton Keynes is not part of Buckighamshire.

I would love to hear from Bletchley/Milton Keynes residents who have registered for Grammar Schools this year.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Cheers, VS
anotherdad

Re: Grammar Schools for people residing in Bletchley

Post by anotherdad »

Hi VS and welcome! Some brief answers from me below and I'm sure others will be along to expand on them.
VSikdar wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum and also new to Eleven Plus. I reside in Bletchley and my son is currently in Year 4, he will start Year 5 in Sept this year. I have a few queries which are nagging me as I don't seem to find a definite answer, please can someone here be kind enough to respond -

1. I suppose my son will be sitting for the Eleven Plus in about Sept 2020, is that correct? No, he would sit it in September 2019 for entry in September 2020, but only if you register him for the Bucks test because as you will see from my answer to point 4, you will not be automatically entered.
2. As we stay in Bletchley, should we be targetting grammar schools in Buckinghamshire or how do we go about looking for grammar schools given that I currently reside in Bletchley? You need to look at the previous allocation distances for Bucks grammar schools to see which have historically allocated as far out as Bletchley. That's no guarantee of future allocations but it might give you an idea. Note that distances are direct or "crow flies". Roughly speaking, you are at or around the edge of the recent allocation radii for the Aylesbury grammar schools and just beyond the distance for the grammar school in Buckingham. That makes your stratgey risky. You could register and prepare for the test, qualify but not be allocated a space because others live closer to you and fill the spaces.
3. Does it matter which grammar school we apply for or do we have to reside near a grammar school? As above, some will literally be out of reach. The Aylesbury and Buckingham grammars are closest to you but have different typical allocation distances.
4. Does Milton Keynes fall under Buckinghamshire at all, I thought it did but somewhere I read that Milton Keynes is not part of Buckighamshire. As far as education goes, you are outside Bucks.

I would love to hear from Bletchley/Milton Keynes residents who have registered for Grammar Schools this year.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Cheers, VS
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now