Moving up day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Moving up day

Post by BlueBerry »

DS is having his moving up tomorrow.... but without his form tutor. Is this usual practice? I would have thought that this was the day where the teacher gets to know his class etc :?

He hasn't even started school and I am already annoyed :lol:
ToadMum

Re: Moving up day

Post by ToadMum »

When DD moved up , we had a long chat with her form tutor at a parent info evening. Lovely woman, pretty no-nonsense attitude, DD would love her :).

In September, she was greeted by a completely different form tutor, but by all accounts, also great, firm but fair, etc. Obviously something had changed and the original tutor had been assigned elsewhere. It really wasn't a big deal, honest :) .

Presumably, another member of staff will be looking after them at induction day, rather than the school letting thirty 11-year olds roam the premises unsupervised?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They usually have a lot of lessons as well.

Maybe the tutor is not well or will be new in September or is on a school visit or away moderating exam marking or ....

Usually they meet the tutor if possible ...

Hope everyone has a great day at their new school :)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Don't worry about it. There are all sorts of possible reasons why the form tutor won't be there. There'll be plenty to distract and excite the children anyway. I hope he enjoys it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sometimes it’s because their tutor will be a new teacher who maybe hasn’t started the school yet.
Amber

Post by Amber »

They haven't finished playing 'scissors, paper, stone' to decide who gets Y7 yet. They do Y9 first. :wink:
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

DD is going to CGS (it still felt unreal seeing her name at the parents evening last week after the saga!) Does anyone know if they are already assigned their teaching groups for Y7 yet? I know they get to meet their (vertical) tutor groups today. Unless I've got it the wrong way round!
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

From memory, they do find out their teaching groups, or at least did when ds started - now in Year 9. Hope she has a fantastic day, ds loves it there.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, but I'm still annoyed :lol: There are 5 forms in his year and his is the only one without their form tutor.
Tinkers wrote:Sometimes it’s because their tutor will be a new teacher who maybe hasn’t started the school yet.
Yes, this is the case here. Oh well, hopefully he will get to know some other teachers....
Amber wrote:They haven't finished playing 'scissors, paper, stone' to decide who gets Y7 yet. They do Y9 first. :wink:
Ha ha, not here Amber. All children have been allocated their forms, met their form tutor at the information evening last week and know which languages they are studying in September.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

sparklies wrote:DD is going to CGS (it still felt unreal seeing her name at the parents evening last week after the saga!) Does anyone know if they are already assigned their teaching groups for Y7 yet? I know they get to meet their (vertical) tutor groups today. Unless I've got it the wrong way round!
DS is being taught in his form group for all of Year 7. They aren't streaming them until Year 8.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now