Year 8 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
readingmummy786

Year 8 entry

Post by readingmummy786 »

Hello everyone,

I have recently been told by a friend that you can apparently re-apply for a space at a grammar in Buckinghamshire if your child has not qualified for a place in Year 7. Is this just for people already on the waiting list or people coming from abroad? I have no idea if this is true so if someone could shed some light on this matter that would be great!
scary mum

Re: Year 8 entry

Post by scary mum »

If your child is not successful they can sit the 12 plus (&13 plus). However there are few places available, although some schools (eg Burnham Grammar) add a whole class in year 8. People moving to the area can apply through the in year entry procedure, I think.
See this page:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And also this page (Bucks county council)
https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... admission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by scary mum on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Your first step might be to look at the ‘In year admissions’ policies for the schools you might be interested in, as they might be different from each other.

I’m not in Bucks, but I *think* (and Bucks people will correct me if I’m wrong) that the option is open to all. Certainly it is open to those who did not qualify for entry to year 7.

Cross post with Scary
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Are you thinking of moving (or recently moved)? I’m very doubtful you would get a place anyway from where you currently live.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tinkers wrote:Are you thinking of moving (or recently moved)? I’m very doubtful you would get a place anyway from where you currently live.
That prompted me to look back at your past posts, and if you still live in Reading there is absolutely no chance of gaining a place via the 12+.

For most of the schools there will be no places; a few will have one or two places at the most and you would need to live on the doorstep to get one. Even for those schools that open up an entire class for Y8 or Y9 (13+ test) you wouldn't have a chance from Reading.

Sorry it's not better news, but I think it's important you get the bald facts.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now