Wycombe High Late Transfer Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueBerry

Re: Wycombe High Late Transfer Help

Post by BlueBerry »

Apologies as I'm going off topic, and this is possibly a silly questions, but why have so many schools allocated over their PAN? I think we have 160 boys at JHGS , so 10 over the PAN.....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These would be through successful appeals I suspect.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry wrote:Apologies as I'm going off topic, and this is possibly a silly questions, but why have so many schools allocated over their PAN? I think we have 160 boys at JHGS , so 10 over the PAN.....
Huge demographic pressure on places for boys in Wycombe/South Bucks this year.

Not all the places were allocated as a result of appeals - DCGS offered 6 over PAN on 1st March to try to relieve at least some of the pressure.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for your replies Guest55 & Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne, I don't quite understand your comment below. DS has 31 boys in his class and 60% are children from Maidenhead, so if there is so much demand why allocate so many spaces spaces to those out of catchment?
Sally-Anne wrote: Huge demographic pressure on places for boys in Wycombe/South Bucks this year.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

BlueBerry wrote:Thanks for your replies Guest55 & Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne, I don't quite understand your comment below. DS has 31 boys in his class and 60% are children from Maidenhead, so if there is so much demand why allocate so many spaces spaces to those out of catchment?
Sally-Anne wrote: Huge demographic pressure on places for boys in Wycombe/South Bucks this year.
Is the make-up of his class representative of the year group though? 18 Maidenhead boys in one class is probably not repeated in the other four classes, surely?

I think the point about pressure was a more general one. Looking at the allocations, all schools in Wycombe/South Bucks bar one (RGS) saw their allocation distance come down on last year's distance. The standardisation doesn't take catchment/non-catchment status into consideration of course. In an extreme example, there could be a year where all automatic qualifiers come from out of catchment. It would be ridiculously unlikely of course but technically possible. It would still lead to pressure on places because there would still be c.30% of applicants qualifying and the cohort of test-takers is increasing each year I believe.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry wrote:Sally-Anne, I don't quite understand your comment below. DS has 31 boys in his class and 60% are children from Maidenhead, so if there is so much demand why allocate so many spaces spaces to those out of catchment?
The pressure was to the south of DCGS and the east of RGS. As JHG's catchment area covers the area south of Wycombe, it was affected far less.

The numbers were huge: on 1st March, 242 Bucks pupils had a first preference for DCGS, against an official PAN of 180. In fact they increased their PAN to 186, and then allocated a further 3 places beyond that (a correction to my post above), and yet there were still 56 boys without places.

Over at RGS, 23 Bucks boys with a first preference for the school didn't receive a place.

We don't know exactly how many of those 89 boys were in the catchment areas for either school, but I know that quite a few of them were.

Edited to add: Looking at a different document, 26 boys from Maidenhead were allocated places at JHG in the first round this year, so your son's class contains nearly all of them! Out of 149 total allocations, 119 went to Bucks-resident boys.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

anotherdad wrote: Is the make-up of his class representative of the year group though? 18 Maidenhead boys in one class is probably not repeated in the other four classes, surely?
No idea, but I certainly hope not!
Sally-Anne wrote: Edited to add: Looking at a different document, 26 boys from Maidenhead were allocated places at JHG in the first round this year, so your son's class contains nearly all of them! Out of 149 total allocations, 119 went to Bucks-resident boys.
149 allocations? There are 160 boys in Year 7 at JHGS for September 2018.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry wrote:149 allocations? There are 160 boys in Year 7 at JHGS for September 2018.
There were something like 50 appeals for the school, and that was one of the lower figures!
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Oh my gosh, that is a lot of appeals!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think there were about 40 appeals in my year (2015?).