Email from bucks saying no maidenhead kids admitted?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TheHurdle

Re: Email from bucks saying no maidenhead kids admitted?

Post by TheHurdle »

Sorry what question did I ask that you thought I was responding too.

Someone mentioned travel not me, and I did not wish to go into the details because I did not wish to discuss it because its not necessary to keep repeating the same thing to adults who are aware of these things. I did not ask any question about it. So I am not sure what you think your responding too.

I found your post patronizing and condescending and you do not need to tell other adults that schools or employers do not tolerate lateness.

I wonder if some posters should run through a mental check list before repeatedly banging on about the same things.

1) is this really necessary to point out - and if so - is it being helpful to labour this point.

2) has the poster actually asked this question or have I mindlessly jumped on the usual bandwagon
3) would this comment come across as spiky - rude - patronizing when this is obviously an adult I am addressing who will usually have experience already of rush hour :roll: :lol: employment, children being able to travel independently, what children can and cannot take, and all these issues which any adult would be already considering when making big decisions, but has come onto the board to ask about something else ENTIRELY.
4) do I have anything better to do and let someone else comment with something helpful.

The problem is - new people like me dip in and out of these forums, and its tiresome, to wade through the same posters who sit on these boards - making the same comments over and over and over again.
When genuinely helpful people, are trying to respond.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:I was giving a school perspective - as long as you are willing to let her stay to clubs and events then it is not a problem. However I've seen too many children 'have' to leave on the dot and have had to deal with parents who do not want their child in a sports team [or other extra curricular experience] because it's 'inconvenient'. Long commutes also mean parents are less likely to attend evening events and so miss a lot of the things that make school so much more than the lessons.
I understand your point about long commutes (and I agree) but you seem to also be implying that driving parents prevent DCs from doing extra curricular events. I would have thought staying late at school might be easier if DC goes by car - after all the buses don't wait for them do they?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

TheHurdle.

Perhaps you should read the first part of your number 3 - "would this comment come across as spiky - rude - patronizing " I'm actually really, really upset here as I wrote what I did in good faith and the venom you are aiming in my direction feels very, very unfair.

I am sorry that you find experienced people on this forum tiresome. Unfortunately without experience all you get is new people guessing and surmising...

But you know what? One part of what you said is absolutely right:

It's a waste of time.

Good luck all - I'm out. It has been a blast.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I understand your point about long commutes (and I agree) but you seem to also be implying that driving parents prevent DCs from doing extra curricular events. I would have thought staying late at school might be easier if DC goes by car - after all the buses don't wait for them do they?
Mine used public transport ... other buses.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Not always an option though. We tried it when the car broke down and it was a nightmare - two bus companies, two expensive tickets!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

KCG, I think part of the problem is that people come on here with a question that they believe is unique to them (the search facility doesn't always throw up the right answer).

Regular contributors have obviously answered the same question hundreds of times before and do, I am sorry to say, sometimes come across as a bit "tetchy". Understandable for the regular, but confusing for the newbie.

Sorry to hijack your thread, TheHurdle. Good luck :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's only an issue for a long journey and was something we considered before choosing the GS... and we are going off topic.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Apologies, yes we are off thread. But it seemed silly to start a new thread just to ask that question. Thank you for your response.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:TheHurdle.
I am sorry that you find experienced people on this forum tiresome. Unfortunately without experience all you get is new people guessing and surmising...
Yep. And when children narrowly miss out on qualification or place allocation and parents want to go to review, appeal or oversubscription appeal, the knowledge and experience of regular posters will suddenly be in demand and appreciated. When those come around, I nearly always check the previous posts of the OP because I'm not inclined to help people who've been rude or dismissive of well-meant advice.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There have been a couple of reports/PMs about this thread, and people are getting upset.

It has probably run its course, but I am temporarily locking it **until we have time to review it.

** until either Isner or Anderson win the semi at Wimbledon