Email from bucks saying no maidenhead kids admitted?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Re: Email from bucks saying no maidenhead kids admitted?

Post by BlueBerry »

Understood.

My biggest concern would be the commute to Becky’s high from Maidenhead. How is your DD going to manage that?
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

I don't know yet.
It's not vast difference, I believe busses leave from various places.. I like driving!!
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

TheHurdle wrote:I don't know yet.
It's not vast difference, I believe busses leave from various places.. I like driving!!
I don't think its easy to get to Beaconsfield via public transport. It's a good thing that you like driving though. Personally, I would reconsider or move to Beaconsfield as this is a big commitment that you are making - for the next 7 years.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think there are school buses from Burnham (or at least there used to be). I wouldn't underestimate the journey in rush hour, for 7 years. If DD is late frequently, it will go against her. At least if you use the school bus it is their fault if you are late!
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would suggest you try the drive - maybe leaving at 7.30am on a school day and see how long it takes. It's not a journey I would commit to ...
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

As a parent who has committed to driving 40 miles every day for (hopefully) seven years, I would say it can get tiring and I really look forward to school holidays (this is only my third year!). I don't know what the traffic on your journey would be like but I have to allow extra time just in case parts of the journey are slow. It is possible though and I have to say it is a great chance to spend some one-on-one time with my DS. If school buses are an option I would go with them though :)
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

As a mum of DD at this school - I would say if you are both willing to take on board the extra travelling time - and you both feel this is the best school for your DD - then go for it. There are some buses coming form that direction - run by Finlan travel. You may be able to drop DD at a pick-up point on their route. You will still have to do the pick-up if she stays late for any clubs etc. We are lucky enough to live close-ish but there are plenty of girls travelling those sorts of distances each day.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

As a mum who would have had to travel a 40 mile round trip to RGS for my youngest DS (qualified and on waiting list but no movement), but would have done if he had be allocated a space, I think it is up to you if you are happy to take the time out of your day to do so. They say that things happen for a reason and for us I do believe this was the case, due to serious illness a year ago the travelling would have been a major problem - however you can't live your life thinking about what might happen - do what you think is right for your DC ... you know them and how they would cope with the travelling :)

For us DS then qualified for our catchment grammar AGS and now travels on the school bus. Much nicer :)
Heartmum x x x
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

:oops: Oops... I think I need to clarify my statement! 40 miles is the total for a day (10 miles from school) - not at all ideal, though it was the most convenient and cost effective option at the start.

I totally agree that buses are the way to go, but I was just pointing out that driving is possible if that is your only/best option.

ETA: Our local school really would not have suited my DS so it is something I am willing/able to do for him. I would prefer not to but life is what it is, and it really can be a fun time together in the car so I wouldn't like to lose that now :D
Last edited by BucksBornNBred on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Driving 40 miles a day on the school run would only really be possible for people who didn't then have to go to work...not only do schools look pretty dimly on latecomers, employers do too and the excuse of "there was traffic on the school run" for a secondary age student wears pretty thin very quickly!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now