Wycombe High Late Transfer Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ellebee

Wycombe High Late Transfer Help

Post by Ellebee »

Hi would someone have advice on late transfer for Wycombe High School. They manage their own late transfer and was wondering what the testing is. Is it like 13plus or subjects based? Any advice appreciated! Thank you
anotherdad

Re: Wycombe High Late Transfer Help

Post by anotherdad »

I assume you've looked over the school's guidance for late transfer (they do their own rather than having Bucks CC do it for them)? All it says is that the test measures verbal, numerical and non-verbal ability. That suggests to me that it is similar in style to the 11+ transfer test. However, they have yet to announce precise arrangements for 2019 entry so that may change.
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Hi

My DD did the 13+ for WHS and joined the school 2 years ago

At the time the test was the same as the one administered by Bucks CC - so CEM test. I know it was exactly the same test because I registered to do both but then Bucks contacted me to say that she was not allowed to do both as it was the same test. WHS rules at the time were that she had to do the test there to qualify there but the Bucks administered schools would also accept this test result too.

When we got the results the scores were different for the two test as they standardise on their own cohort. I remember that it was a 10 point difference but can't remember which way round now - she passed on both measures so didn't matter to us at the time
lovebooks

Post by lovebooks »

Does anyone know if the exam dates for the Bucks late transfer test and the ones for the other grammar schools (organising their own) coincide?

Basically, is it practically possible to sit both? Or more?

If passed, will the sibling rule weigh anything?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Does this help? The details refer to 2018 entry but usually, school admissions procedures run at about the same time each year

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... g-process/

As qualification can lead to your DC being added to a waiting list if a place isn't immediately available, then the same ranking for that must apply as for normal admission - new applicants have to be added to waiting lists in their correct position. So if, say, 'sibling on roll' outranks other criteria, then a new applicant with a sibling at the school will be placed on the waiting list above non-siblings and in their correct position vis a vis tiebreakers such as distance. Or at least, they should be, to comply with the Admissions Code :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

lovebooks wrote:Does anyone know if the exam dates for the Bucks late transfer test and the ones for the other grammar schools (organising their own) coincide?

Basically, is it practically possible to sit both? Or more?
As far as I know, there is no coordination of dates among the GS who don't use Bucks CC for testing, and it's highly likely that your child would be able to sit tests for a number of schools on different days.
If passed, will the sibling rule weigh anything?
That depends on the admissions policy of each individual school, and they all vary considerably as to how much priority is given to siblings.

Beyond that, you need to be very realistic about the chances of a place being available if s/he qualifies. All the schools were fully subscribed this year, and a number of them went over PAN (their admission number) after appeals were heard.

If you let us know which schools you are interested in, we may be able to offer more specific advice.
lovebooks

Post by lovebooks »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

We are interested in SHFGS (his brother goes there, and his brother is also "statemented").We were also looking at Royal Grammar and perhaps Dr Challoner?

We live in Aylesbury
lovebooks

Post by lovebooks »

ToadMum wrote:Does this help? The details refer to 2018 entry but usually, school admissions procedures run at about the same time each year

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... g-process/

As qualification can lead to your DC being added to a waiting list if a place isn't immediately available, then the same ranking for that must apply as for normal admission - new applicants have to be added to waiting lists in their correct position. So if, say, 'sibling on roll' outranks other criteria, then a new applicant with a sibling at the school will be placed on the waiting list above non-siblings and in their correct position vis a vis tiebreakers such as distance. Or at least, they should be, to comply with the Admissions Code :) .

Many thanks, I am grateful for the information. I am currently keeping an eye on the Bucks website with reference with 2019 admission policies and relevant dates.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

lovebooks wrote:Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

We are interested in SHFGS (his brother goes there, and his brother is also "statemented").We were also looking at Royal Grammar and perhaps Dr Challoner?

We live in Aylesbury
RGS & Dr Challoner's from Aylesbury would be a terrible journey! And assuming the distance criterion is the main one (I haven't looked) he would be very unlikely to get a place at these over subscribed schools, I would have thought.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

lovebooks wrote:We are interested in SHFGS (his brother goes there, and his brother is also "statemented").We were also looking at Royal Grammar and perhaps Dr Challoner?

We live in Aylesbury
You really need to strike RGS and Challoners from your list. Firstly the journey in both cases would be appalling, and secondly, both schools admitted quite a few boys over PAN this year and are highly unlikely to have vacancies by September 2019. Putting him through the tests for either school would really be a terrible waste of time and emotional energy for all concerned.

The good news is that if he qualifies through the Bucks central test he would be very high on the list for any vacant place at SHF because siblings are the first "mainstream" category for admission. You should name AGS on your application as well, because there is always a possibility that AGS could deliver a place if SHF doesn't. Once again, though, I suspect both schools are over PAN for Y7, so you can't count on a place materialising if he qualifies.

(Cross-posted with scary mum: scary, places for Y8 at RGS and DCGS are allocated by highest score. That presents the stumbling block that any child who didn't achieve 121 in the 11+ is probably unlikely to be among the highest scorers in the late transfer test.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now