Unwell during exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: Unwell during exam

Post by anotherdad »

My view would be that if you've now notified the school of the illness during the exam and he is also recorded as being off with the same illness today, it is recorded with the school.

When you've had a read through the review/appeal options for Bucks, you'll see that academic evidence trumps everything and no amount of extenuating circumstances will make up for a lack of evident academic suitability for a grammar school. Don't make the mistake many parents do which is to obsess over the illness and neglect the academic case. If you son narrowly misses out on automatic qualification, you will need to be able to show good and consistent evidence of high academic attainment in the last couple of years. If you can provide that (and the school will help if the need arises), then a panel might reasonably conclude that the illness was the reason why a child expected to qualify, didn't.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I guess you could call the doctor and ask for advice. Our surgery has a practice nurse who sees people with minor illness at the end of every day. That way it doesn't waste valuable doctor's time but might get you the all-important evidence you need.
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

anotherdad wrote:My view would be that if you've now notified the school of the illness during the exam and he is also recorded as being off with the same illness today, it is recorded with the school.

When you've had a read through the review/appeal options for Bucks, you'll see that academic evidence trumps everything and no amount of extenuating circumstances will make up for a lack of evident academic suitability for a grammar school. Don't make the mistake many parents do which is to obsess over the illness and neglect the academic case. If you son narrowly misses out on automatic qualification, you will need to be able to show good and consistent evidence of high academic attainment in the last couple of years. If you can provide that (and the school will help if the need arises), then a panel might reasonably conclude that the illness was the reason why a child expected to qualify, didn't.
Thank you for the sage advice. I will keep this in mind and stop obsessing over our bad luck now. We will find a way to support him and reach his potential in the school he gets into, grammar or not.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Good for you. Come back on or after results day if you need to pursue the review/appeal route - there are lots of posters able to help, particularly with the academic evidence elements.
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

Amber wrote:I guess you could call the doctor and ask for advice. Our surgery has a practice nurse who sees people with minor illness at the end of every day. That way it doesn't waste valuable doctor's time but might get you the all-important evidence you need.
Thank you. Will be taking him to a walk-in centre on the advice of the surgery.
daphnedm

Post by daphnedm »

anotherdad wrote:Good for you. Come back on or after results day if you need to pursue the review/appeal route - there are lots of posters able to help, particularly with the academic evidence elements.
Thank you, will certainly do that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now