BHS or DCHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: BHS or DCHS

Post by scary mum »

OP, I've just had a look at your previous posts when you were asking about Burnham. Are you still living in Wokingham? Unless you moved before 31 October you have absolutely no hope of being allocated either BHS or DCHS on March 1st. If you move you may get lucky in later rounds depending on where you move to & whether there are any places. I thought you had good schools around you anyway?;Personally I would stay put!
scary mum
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Thanks anotherdad. To be honest I'm not sure how to interpret on what 'better in academics' mean. My assumption was that their GCSE results are better and indepth teaching?
For now ,my DD is interested in English and reading although she is good in maths.
But my preference is all round development with more emphasis on Maths ,English and music..
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

scary mum wrote:OP, I've just had a look at your previous posts when you were asking about Burnham. Are you still living in Wokingham? Unless you moved before 31 October you have absolutely no hope of being allocated either BHS or DCHS on March 1st. If you move you may get lucky in later rounds depending on where you move to & whether there are any places. I thought you had good schools around you anyway?;Personally I would stay put!
yes, the plan is to move before 31st ,if unable to get into Kendrick.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mgm3 wrote:
scary mum wrote:OP, I've just had a look at your previous posts when you were asking about Burnham. Are you still living in Wokingham? Unless you moved before 31 October you have absolutely no hope of being allocated either BHS or DCHS on March 1st. If you move you may get lucky in later rounds depending on where you move to & whether there are any places. I thought you had good schools around you anyway?;Personally I would stay put!
yes, the plan is to move before 31st ,if unable to get into Kendrick.
You'll move in two weeks? Most people would find it impossible to find somewhere & move in the that time. I don't know how Kendrick admissions work, but will you know by then?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick results are out middle to end of October. No fixed date as yet, so may not have 2 weeks between getting results and 31st

https://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/pag ... 19&pid=123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I’m sure both schools are equally capable of delivering good English and maths so if music is something your daughter has a love for, you should see which offers the most opportunities for bands/orchestras. Be careful though. My daughter’s school had very good musical facilities and good orchestras but they were very picky about minimum standards before allowing them to join which left an inexperienced player without an option. It’s easy to have highly regarded musical ensembles if you’re selective about who joins them. Sound familiar?

BUT, and it is a big BUT, your plan for moving to Bucks as a back-up option is seriously flawed. How are you going to organise a move in a two week, possibly a one week window? You must check the admissions rules because if you’re thinking of renting a second property or staying with friends/relatives or some other interim arrangement, you are at risk of being investigated for address fraud. Where suspected it will be investigated and where proved, the place will be withdrawn. Don’t go to all the trouble of researching schools and houses only to have it all wasted because you’re deemed ineligible. The rules are set precisely to try and stop people gaming the system.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Thank you anotherdad. That's good point you mentioned about music.May be I should check with schools regarding this ..
And with respect to the move ( if required) , it would be genuine and I hope it shouldn't have any issues with respect to any search or validations..
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Tinkers wrote:Kendrick results are out middle to end of October. No fixed date as yet, so may not have 2 weeks between getting results and 31st

https://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/pag ... 19&pid=123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Thank you Tinkers.Point noted.I hope they provide results by mid October based on historical data. Fingers crossed!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

mgm3 wrote:Thank you anotherdad. That's good point you mentioned about music.May be I should check with schools regarding this ..
And with respect to the move ( if required) , it would be genuine and I hope it shouldn't have any issues with respect to any search or validations..
Ok, but I'd do better than hope. Check it thoroughly. For instance, can you meet this criterion:

"In order to qualify for admission under rules referring to the school’s catchment area, the applicant must have been resident at their home address continuously since 31 October in the offer year (the academic year in which offers for places are made)."

In other words, once moved, you'd have to live there throughout your daughter's year six. What will you do about her primary education and that of any siblings?

Also, make sure you understand the definition of a normal home address and how they check its validity:

"This is the child’s home address. This must be where the parent or legal carer of the child live together unless it is proved that the child is resident elsewhere with someone who has legal care and control of the child. The address should be a residential property that is owned, leased or rented by the child’s parent(s) or person with legal care and control of the child.

They will check this by seeking:

"Confirmation of the registered address to which Child Benefit is currently being paid, or, if child benefit is not received then the address from which the child in question is registered with a doctor."
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

anotherdad wrote:
mgm3 wrote:Thank you anotherdad. That's good point you mentioned about music.May be I should check with schools regarding this ..
Ok, but I'd do better than hope. Check it thoroughly. For instance, can you meet this criterion:

"In order to qualify for admission under rules referring to the school’s catchment area, the applicant must have been resident at their home address continuously since 31 October in the offer year (the academic year in which offers for places are made)."

In other words, once moved, you'd have to live there throughout your daughter's year six. What will you do about her primary education and that of any siblings?

Also, make sure you understand the definition of a normal home address and how they check its validity:

"This is the child’s home address. This must be where the parent or legal carer of the child live together unless it is proved that the child is resident elsewhere with someone who has legal care and control of the child. The address should be a residential property that is owned, leased or rented by the child’s parent(s) or person with legal care and control of the child.

They will check this by seeking:

"Confirmation of the registered address to which Child Benefit is currently being paid, or, if child benefit is not received then the address from which the child in question is registered with a doctor."
Thanks anotherdad. I appreciate your advise on this. Yes, I've checked these pre-requisites and planning accordingly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now