JHGS GCSE Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bucksdad8623

JHGS GCSE Results

Post by bucksdad8623 »

The GCSE results for JHGS this year were amongst the lowest of the Bucks GS (% achieving grades 7 and 8,9). I forget the exact numbers, the results were listed in ‘The Times’ a few weeks ago.
My son is due to sit his GCSEs next summer and we are really worried that he won’t achieve the grades he needs to study at A level, or worse not get into the 6th form at all.
I know at this age the motivation to learn has to come from within, but there is huge disparity between JH results and the other boy’s GS, RGS for example.
These other schools are doing something that JH isn’t. Does anyone else share my concerns or can put their finger on what’s going on?
I was thinking of asking the question at the year 11 open evening, but I’m not sure I’m brave enough.
BlueBerry

Re: JHGS GCSE Results

Post by BlueBerry »

DS started at JHGS on Wednesday & I've been searching online for JHGS 2018 results with no luck. Please would you be able to PM the link to this info?
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

I've tried to look on line this morning and can't find any information. I still have the copy of 'The Times' which unfortunately is at home so I'll share the information later unless someone else can find it.
From memory (and I may be a bit out here), about 52% of JHGS results were a 7 and about 20% grades 8 and 9.
RGS results were about 75% achieved grade 7 and about 45-50% were grades 8 and 9.
Sorry I can't be more specific right now.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would urge caution in comparing raw results. Let's wait for the Progress 8 measure to judge. In addition these results are provisional at this stage as reviews of marking are still going on.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

The only information I can find is in the BFP but it is hard to compare the results as the parameters(?) are different.

"Boys at the Royal Grammar School also celebrated “outstanding” results, with 73 per cent being awarded at 9-7."

"Pupils at John Hampden Grammar School achieved an “excellent” set of results, with 27.3 per cent getting levels 9-8 and 75 per cent achieving 9-6."

Though from the HT's comments it does look like they are lower than normal "The head teacher Tracey Hartley commended the boys, staff and parents for the 'resilience' they showed in the face of 'so many changes' to the exam specifications, and a 'lack' of practice papers."
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Guest55,
What is the Progress 8 measure?
I accept these results may not be final, but would they change that much with remarking?
The feeling I get is JHGS seem to take a more relaxed view when it comes to home working. I would have expected if a pupil had performed poorly in an end of year 10 test in a particular subject that extra work would be set over the summer. My son performed badly in some of his tests and we have tried to help him catch up over the summer break (not without some resistance on his part I might add). We know some parents who have year 10s at DCGS and they were set relatively more work over the summer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Progress 8 measure how much students have progressed since KS2.

More about this here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-measure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last Year RGS 'messed' up by entering students for iGCSE English and they were at the bottom of the performance tables. No-one should judge a school on one year's results; Ofsted don't.
JHGSDCHSBHSmum

Post by JHGSDCHSBHSmum »

We have just survived GCSEs at JHGS and the following is based on our experience. IMO the root causes are 1) slowness in some subjets to adpot the change to 9-1s 2) very limited teaching of exam technique 3) limited end of topic testing. Fortunately we had been through GCSEs before, could compare with other Bucks grammar schools and saw the need to intervene. Difficulties are not in every subject e.g. maths, chemistry and MFL are good. Biology, physics and English are far more chaotic and English matters as JHGS does not let students with a 4 continue into the 6th Form. The actions we took were 1) use a tutor in English (stakes too high to not do so), 2) work solidly from October half term reteaching some subjects from scratch and 3) I used most of my annual holiday allowance this year to teach/revise full time with son over half terms and school Easter holiday. The level of intervention was huge (and should not have been necessary) but we achieved the results we wanted. There are some great free on-line resources like freesciencelessons, primrose kitten etc. which helped too.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

JHGSDCHSBHSmum thanks for sharing your experience so frankly. Not one outsiders would expect from a grammar school attendee, but one which I suspect is more common across the grammar schools than people care to admit. Lights touch paper and stands back......
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JHGSDCHSBHSmum wrote:We have just survived GCSEs at JHGS and the following is based on our experience. IMO the root causes are 1) slowness in some subjets to adpot the change to 9-1s 2) very limited teaching of exam technique 3) limited end of topic testing. Fortunately we had been through GCSEs before, could compare with other Bucks grammar schools and saw the need to intervene. Difficulties are not in every subject e.g. maths, chemistry and MFL are good. Biology, physics and English are far more chaotic and English matters as JHGS does not let students with a 4 continue into the 6th Form. The actions we took were 1) use a tutor in English (stakes too high to not do so), 2) work solidly from October half term reteaching some subjects from scratch and 3) I used most of my annual holiday allowance this year to teach/revise full time with son over half terms and school Easter holiday. The level of intervention was huge (and should not have been necessary) but we achieved the results we wanted. There are some great free on-line resources like freesciencelessons, primrose kitten etc. which helped too.
Thank you for this JHGSDCHSBHSmum though can I ask a few questions as we are just entering the GCSE phase?

How are they slow to adopt the new 9-1 scale?
What exam techniques are they not teaching?
English (I thought) was being taught well as my DS is on target for a high grade (huge improvement since primary) so have I missed something?
From what I have seen (so far) end of topic testing covers everything - does that change as they progress through the school?

My only issue with the GCSEs at the moment is that their options booklet doesn't state the exam boards and I haven't received any response to my emails on the subject.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now