Bucks 11+ results 12th Oct: Please read this before posting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blue_Marigold

Re: Bucks 11+ results 12th Oct: Please read this before post

Post by Blue_Marigold »

This is interesting. Around the same number of children from Aylesbury Vale this year as there were last year and around the same percentage qualified. Does this mean that it will be just as hard to get into some of the upper schools as last year? I’m thinking of Cottesloe, John Colet and Waddesdon.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think so. There has been more housing built in Aylesbury and the surrounding areas and the population of children approaching secondary age is rising. The three schools you mention will be popular with people on the edge of Aylesbury because the town's three upper schools are all Requiring Improvement, although I gather that Mandeville is making rapid progress. John Colet didn't quite reach into Aylesbury last year, with only a few on the very edge of peripheral estates getting in.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I believe that Buckingham was asked to increase its PAN and that the Free school in Winslow [Sir Thomas Fremantle] was over-subscribed again ...

It's very strange that there are some high performing Primary schools in AV but the qualification rate from some of these is low ...
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I don't think they can compete with the extensive tutoring and preparation that is invested in for some of the children in NW London for whom Bucks is a mock or back-up. Some of the routines those children are put through are brutal. Still, the best way to fatten a pig is to continually weight it, apparently.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

I'm not sure the Colet is a favourite for as many as it was last year. The Grange's catchment and feeder schools are actually really quite good primary schools and everyone is seeing an improvement at the school. The last ofsted said they weren't doing enough for the more capable student and I think the actions that have been put in place has made a lot of parents happier and they don't feel the need to try and get their child into the village secondary schools anymore. Plus with the new St Michael's school more people are happy to stay on that side of Aylesbury and not try to get into the Grange.
Guest55 wrote:I believe that Buckingham was asked to increase its PAN and that the Free school in Winslow [Sir Thomas Fremantle] was over-subscribed again ...

It's very strange that there are some high performing Primary schools in AV but the qualification rate from some of these is low ...
I just think the majority of people don't tutor in Aylesbury. They've given up with the system. The 11+ is definitely a test that the result can be improved on by practising and although it is on year 5 curriculum, the way the test is administered and laid out is really quite different and daunting for most 10 year olds. My son's friend who is pretty much level with him (I would say) in all subjects literally just saw the familiarisation test on the Tuesday then did the real thing on the Thursday and scored 107. My son was very nearly in the 17% who qualified and I'm proud of him because we certainly never went OTT on the revision - but now I wish we had done more. Hindsight.......
WhatsOn

Post by WhatsOn »

anotherdad wrote:Disappointing to see the Aylesbury Vale qualification rate staying as low as 17%. Wycombe stuck on 22% too.
Another increase in Luton entrants with no hope of getting a place. Ditto Northants.
The overall picture seems similar to last year.
Northants sitters are generally legitimate - Brackley is only across the border from Buckingham and a number of Brackley pupils attend RLS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They have a great school on their doorstep - why bother?
3times

Post by 3times »

Guest55 wrote:They have a great school on their doorstep - why bother?
Why not? They have nothing to lose. If they pass, they have the option of RLS. If not, they have a good comprehensive as back-up.
This is why Bucks children are disadvantaged, because they don't all have that good comprehensive option. There are bus loads of Buckingham children who go to school in Brackley, MCS is continuing to expand.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I hadn't looked at MCS before, but as G55 says, it's a good school. However, some people want a choice of schools. Nowt wrong with that, and there is clearly quite a bit of cross-border traffic between RLS and MCS (the latter allocating to 10 miles or so).

Perfectly reasonable.

Now let's talk about Luton, Ealing, Hillingdon, Brent, Surrey, Redbridge, ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Now let's talk about Luton, Ealing, Hillingdon, Brent, Surrey, Redbridge
I couldn't believe how many children had sat the tests from these areas without any hope of a place. Mind you, we know Harrow LEA may have had a hand in some of these. Maybe the rest are planning on moving?
scary mum