local schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lea2124

local schools

Post by lea2124 »

Opinions needed. Do we go to the Aylesbury Grammar school open day on Monday with our DS? We hadn't been yet just in case he didn't pass and although he didn't pass you couldn't get much closer! Unsure on what to do.
Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Selection review

Post by Tinkers »

I’d take him if it were me, but with the mindset it ‘might’ be an option but might not be. However you know your child and we don’t, so you’ll know how he will react best.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

My view would be to skip it. It's a showpiece event, not a reflection of the real school and should you be successful at review or appeal, you can always ask to visit at that stage before choosing it ahead or behind the Floyd.

Edited: sorry, got my dates mixed up. You'll have to complete the CAF before applying of course. My view? Go alone.
Last edited by anotherdad on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You'll need to put a GS in first place on the CAF so you do need to decide which one(s).
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Guest55 wrote:You'll need to put a GS in first place on the CAF so you do need to decide which one(s).
With what we know about ags and shf we think ags is the better fit for him.

The only trouble with leaving it till we know he's passed the review is we don't want the grammar school to know he's had to go through a review to get a place. Does that make sense?

Edited: Think hubby and I will go on our own.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DS started at a GS this September that he hadn't visited. I had seen the school. He didn't want to build himself up seeing a school that he may never go to.

The school knows my DS got in on appeal and I am confident that it will not affect their attitude toward him. If I thought it would then it woukd be the wrong school for us.

If you believe strongly ( we can never know anything for certain) that it is the right school does he really need to see it now. I suspect he will be surrounded by many other children sure of their place.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why do you think AGS will suit him better? You really need to look at both to judge. Is it during the day?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The only trouble with leaving it till we know he's passed the review is we don't want the grammar school to know he's had to go through a review to get a place. Does that make sense?
If he qualifies through a review or appeal he would be just as qualified as anyone else, the point is that he should have qualified anyway so if the review or appeal is successful, it is as if he got 121+ in the first place. The school will know before he starts anyway (or at least they used to), but it really doesn't matter.
scary mum
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

scary mum wrote:
If he qualifies through a review or appeal he would be just as qualified as anyone else, the point is that he should have qualified anyway so if the review or appeal is successful, it is as if he got 121+ in the first place. The school will know before he starts anyway (or at least they used to), but it really doesn't matter.
Ditto

As it is very difficult to get into a school via either of these routes, the DC has to be more than academically suitable for their place.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

From memory lea2124 you live within walking distance of AGS whereas SHFGS would be a bus ride away. That's a consideration if all other things are equal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now