Bucks Selection Review - happy to help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksmum33

Bucks Selection Review - happy to help

Post by bucksmum33 »

Last year our daughter obtained 117 and we were part of the 25% of that score that got in through selcetion review. That's down from 60% the previous year that got in. I spent hours/days on here reading, asking advice, preparing, researching to make sure I submitted the best possible application (it was 12 pages with a covering letter and appendixes). With the help of the moderators here and 'Mary's Letter' I was able to fully understand what I needed to do.

So...I promised to come back and help people that were going through the same thing. I dont have nearly the amount of experience that the moderators have on here and I would never pretend to. But I do have experience of doing this one year ago and I remember it like yesterday. So if I can add any value to the moderators on here, I'm happy to.

Good luck to everyone going through it. It's not an easy time, but you are in control of what you submit so get as much information as you can.
Blue_Marigold

Re: Bucks Selection Review - happy to help

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Same here! We had a successful selection review last year with a score of 117. I had loads of help and support from the forum too.

I was a bit worried child would struggle in her grammar school but she seems fine so far.
bucksmum33

Post by bucksmum33 »

That's a good point. Whilst frustration and even anger can kick in, think VERY hard about whether grammar is the right school. 121 is there for a reason and if you're below it's because it is deemed they would struggle. I dont regret succeeding in the SR last year and my daughter loves her school but she is finding it tough. They move very very quickly and there are very bright people there - she's gone from near the top of the class to the bottom half (as we understand it).

So just think hard about whether your childs score, as much as you may hate to admit it, may well be refelective of their ability and perhaps grammar isnt the right place to be. As hard as it is with your own child, take some time to reflect and be as objective as possible about what the right school might be.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It's great that you're both happy to help. Yours are much more recent experiences of the system than some of the rest of us.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Good point well made bucksmum33.
The idea of a grammar school as the best school for every child is one that circulates amongst parents of primary school children who haven’t been through the secondary school system. Self esteem and the best learning environment (in terms of pastoral care and teaching methods) should really be considered as well. Only you know your child.
The stories you don’t hear about so much are the ones where students have gone to Upper schools in the area and absolutely flown academically precisely because they were at the top of their school, when they would have been in bottom half of a very bright cohort in grammar. Search for Tree’s post on here if you don’t believe me.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

oh my goodness. Twelve pages!

Ds scored 120.75!!!! (I could cry - in fact I have!)

I'm not sure we'd have 12 pages of evidence to submit. Our school has always been very slow in giving us information about our children. It's only been in the last year have they told us about test results.

I think it's time to ask some very frank and honest questions.
Has anyone got an example of what a selection review pack looks like?

Can't believe I'm having to find out about all of this. There's still so much uncertainty. Wishing we had moved 2 years ago now......
bucksmum33

Post by bucksmum33 »

12 pages. I left nothing to chance. But more importantly, I left the panel with nothing to guess. I remotely hand held them though the entire pack so they didnt have to query. That was my way but by no means the only way.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi lea1234

In the last few years, over 80% of Reviews on 120+ were successful, so don't despair.

You can see all the information relating to Reviews, as provided to Head teachers, here: https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/admis ... on-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think 12 pages is too much and you just need focused points. The main evidence will be what the Head writes and if that does not say the right things then 100 pages won't compensate.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

It doesn’t have to be 12 pages... mine was half a page and we didn’t have any evidence other than the HT comments and grades (which were quite mixed). I was going to write one line but was advised to put a bit more and show I cared for my child. I will PM you when I find my letter.