Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:15 pm 

Hi

I live in Earley and some Bucks Grammar Schools are less than 10 miles away from our house, my kid got above 121 marks, can we apply in Marlow or John Hampden School?
Is it matter how good marks you got?
Even if i change my house, i wont be able to sell my house quickly.

Any help would be helpful to do quick decision.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 pm 

On the spreadsheet in the first post of this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54212 you will find the allocations for Bucks schools over several years indicating the exact distance of the last place offered.

Score does not count so long as you get over 121 - it all comes down to distance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:54 am 

If you are 10 miles away you certainly will not get a place at SWBGS and the last time you would have got a place at JHGS would have been 2015. It might have been an idea to check this before making your child sit the test. The result of this is to push the pass marks up & take places from Bucks children, as well as putting your child through unnecessary stress. All of which could be avoided by reading the admissions criteria (for the score) and allocation profiles.
If you move you will be considered in later rounds but the waiting lists barely moved this year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 am 

adnanabid wrote:
Hi

I live in Earley and some Bucks Grammar Schools are less than 10 miles away from our house, my kid got above 121 marks, can we apply in Marlow or John Hampden School?
Is it matter how good marks you got?
Even if i change my house, i wont be able to sell my house quickly.

Any help would be helpful to do quick decision.

I also live in Earley and have looked at the Bucks allocations every year, comparing against the distance to the Three Tuns crossroads.
You have no chance of a Bucks School.
You also have several good local schools, which I’m hoping you are considering.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:20 am 

scary mum wrote:
If you are 10 miles away you certainly will not get a place at SWBGS and the last time you would have got a place at JHGS would have been 2015. It might have been an idea to check this before making your child sit the test. The result of this is to push the pass marks up & take places from Bucks children, as well as putting your child through unnecessary stress. All of which could be avoided by reading the admissions criteria (for the score) and allocation profiles.
If you move you will be considered in later rounds but the waiting lists barely moved this year.

I agree entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:59 pm 

I think you need to visit both JHGS and SWBGS as they are very different schools. I visited both and I had a strong preference for one right from the outset.

And I agree with the above posters, you are too far away to get in either school.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 pm 

My 2 children are at SWBGS.

They have not allocated past 3 miles for tge last 3 years (so not all of catchment). The current year 10 you would have probably got a place - it was an odd year. Current year 11 you wouldn’t- they offered catchment, non catchment siblings and then as far as 2 children in Henley.

Based on the above I would say you have pretty much no chance of a place. SWBGS generally has very little movement after the initial offer day in March. It’s only 120 places and there are generally quite a lot of siblings.

I’m assuming you went to the open day? SWBGS has a very strong identity- my family love it as do all the families I know with children there. Marlow has always had gossip about how SWBGS is rubbish pastorally but this is not my experience. This gossip is probably less now as WHS is not as fashionable. Marlow is a small town- everyone knows everyone- the vast majority of students will know a large number of people in their class from toddler group days. This isn’t necessarily everybody’s cup of tea. My children and their friends however have found this quite reassuring and family like.

If you are looking at moving into Marlow it would be a massive gamble and house prices are steep and primary places may be a challenge.