RGS and JHGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RobertBucks

Re: RGS and JHGS

Post by RobertBucks »

scary mum wrote:I don't know about these two schools, but the Bucks grammar schools that I do know of only set for maths & not until year 8.
Ah, in that case would be good to confirm from any parents when boys are put into sets for RGS and JHGS?
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

It’s quite common for children to be in the top sets in junior school and not so at a GS. It’s about managing expectations. Taking the top 30% means the cohort will all be of a pretty high standard . In our school they are not set until Y8 in maths and science is Y10 , no setting for English. Dolly xx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Dollydripmat wrote:It’s quite common for children to be in the top sets in junior school and not so at a GS. It’s about managing expectations. Taking the top 30% means the cohort will all be of a pretty high standard . In our school they are not set until Y8 in maths and science is Y10 , no setting for English. Dolly xx
Yes, totally agree with the above.

At JHGS, the boys are put in set in Year 8, and only for Maths and English.
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

Not sure if there's more prep boys at RGS in my son's year 8 class. Most of the boys he's met have come from state primaries (including him).

I don't know if JH parents have comparable stories, but I'd say the most "RGS" thing I've heard recently is that the boys are regularly informed that they are all aspiring to being "world class" and "young gentlemen." These two phrases turn up at assemblies a lot, to the general amusement of pupils. My son has subsequently started telling me he should have more Xbox time to ensure he's becoming truly world class at Fortnite. :lol:
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Yes at every presentation and parents evening I went to at RGS the students were referred to as "gentlemen". Never heard the world class bit, but they definitely encouraged an environment that it was ok and cool to achieve and be seen to achieve academically.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Not sure about the message of world class for JHGS (holiday time so xbox has called and all questions are falling on headphones!) but certainly they encourage the boys to be independent young men - interference from parents is (from my experience) discouraged but that is not to say they won't talk to parents; they just encourage boys to sort out their own problems.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Thanks all.
Amber

Post by Amber »

BiscuitEater wrote: I don't know if JH parents have comparable stories, but I'd say the most "RGS" thing I've heard recently is that the boys are regularly informed that they are all aspiring to being "world class" and "young gentlemen." These two phrases turn up at assemblies a lot, to the general amusement of pupils. My son has subsequently started telling me he should have more Xbox time to ensure he's becoming truly world class at Fortnite. :lol:
Just dipping into your thread to say wow that is really interesting. One of the things I write about in my research is the quest for world class schooling but this is the first time I have seen it brought down to the school level - it is a phrase bandied about a lot by governments and international organisations. Do you happen to know if it is on the website at all? I would love to be able to quote it. If you have more details and don't want to derail the thread please PM me.

(To give you an idea of the background - this article by someone very renowned in the field) https://www.robinalexander.org.uk/wp-co ... chools.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Amber pm’d you.
Mrs C
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote:Just dipping into your thread to say wow that is really interesting. One of the things I write about in my research is the quest for world class schooling but this is the first time I have seen it brought down to the school level - it is a phrase bandied about a lot by governments and international organisations. Do you happen to know if it is on the website at all? I would love to be able to quote it. If you have more details and don't want to derail the thread please PM me.

(To give you an idea of the background - this article by someone very renowned in the field) https://www.robinalexander.org.uk/wp-co ... chools.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not the first Bucks school to quote the phrase 'world-class' ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now