RGS and JHGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RobertBucks

RGS and JHGS

Post by RobertBucks »

Hi all, I know this topic has been done many times before but just wanted to get updated opinions on the two schools from parents with children there. We will be attending both open mornings this week.

Our son goes to state school in North Wycombe, is not particularly sporty but does like football. He is an academic boy who loves maths and science. Commute up Marlow hill is a nightmare we have heard but at the moment son has his heart set on JHGS because his friends planning to go there.

Any insight welcome. thanks

Rob
Guest55

Re: RGS and JHGS

Post by Guest55 »

No football at RGS ...
Bustermartin

Post by Bustermartin »

I have two boys at RGS. One is a very keen footballer who is still enjoying playing at weekends with his local team enabling him to meet up with old school friends who don't go to RGS. Both boys have enjoyed the opportunity to play different sports which they wouldn't have done had football been on offer. One now plays Fives and the other hockey. Neither have been tempted by Rugby and haven't suffered as a result.

I don't have personal experience of JHGS so won't try and compare the two but what I can say, from our experience, RGS have looked after both our boys impeccably in all respects. Their pastoral care is second to none. One is now about to take GCSE's and is on target to do very well - the other is just starting his journey and is looking forward to half term as he is tired, but has very much enjoyed his experience at secondary school. The communication with parents is excellent - they use the SIMS app which allows parents to keep track of homework, behaviour points, achievement points, timetable, future trips etc.

Its all very subjective and you will find many varying opinions. Enjoy both open days and then take your time deciding over which will suit your boy best. We are very lucky to have such a great choice!
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Bustermartin wrote:I have two boys at RGS. One is a very keen footballer who is still enjoying playing at weekends with his local team enabling him to meet up with old school friends who don't go to RGS. Both boys have enjoyed the opportunity to play different sports which they wouldn't have done had football been on offer. One now plays Fives and the other hockey. Neither have been tempted by Rugby and haven't suffered as a result.

I don't have personal experience of JHGS so won't try and compare the two but what I can say, from our experience, RGS have looked after both our boys impeccably in all respects. Their pastoral care is second to none. One is now about to take GCSE's and is on target to do very well - the other is just starting his journey and is looking forward to half term as he is tired, but has very much enjoyed his experience at secondary school. The communication with parents is excellent - they use the SIMS app which allows parents to keep track of homework, behaviour points, achievement points, timetable, future trips etc.

Its all very subjective and you will find many varying opinions. Enjoy both open days and then take your time deciding over which will suit your boy best. We are very lucky to have such a great choice!
Thank you very much for your insight. It is very helpful. We saw JHGS today and son is even more keen on it then before.We will see RGS tomorrow. Might do a SWOT analysis by the end!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Hi RB. My DS is at JHGS and likes it (as much as he could ever like going to school :roll: ). He isn't sporty so I will leave someone else to help you on that.

JHGS pastoral support is outstanding. He has seen a couple of bullying incidents, reported them and the school dealt with the incidents quickly. Like RGS, they use an online system so you can see reports/achievements/timetable. From year 8 they are required to have an iPad (unless that has changed).

Communication from the school could be a bit stronger, but I feel that is maybe because they are trying to make them independent young men.

Re. Marlow Hill, I will say again (I'm looking at you G55) that it is not that bad but, coming from North Wycombe, you are going to have problems getting to Marlow Hill - all the roads into town are solid traffic more often than not. But if you are not driving the school buses usually arrive on time and a lot of children just get a bus into town and then walk up the hill.

I would recommend JHGS as the teaching appears to be excellent and my DS has come on in leaps and bounds. Personally in your location I would go for RGS but JHGS is a wonderful school that I am happy to have my DS attend.

Good luck with your visit and decision. BBB
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

I REALLY wouldn't base your decision on the school's football team. I know that RGS = rugby and JHGS = football comes up as a key differentiator all the time, but it is worth understanding how those sports are handled by the schools. The likelihood of JHGS football playing a key part of the typical JHGS student's life seems to be pretty small.

I have a son at RGS, and one of his best friends (with whom he plays football on the weekends) is at JHGS. They are both in Year 8.

Apparently JHGS ran a lot of football teams last year in Y7, but this year there only seems to be one serious competitive one comprised of the absolute creme de la creme of footballers. Most of the players selected for this team, I understand, have previously been scouted for football academy teams. This means that - unless your son is already talent scouted - the likelihood that JHGS football is going to be a key feature in his secondary school life is low. My son's friend is a passionate footballer and played for the second team in Y7, but as he's not made the first team this year his only football is back at his old weekend club.

I don't know if JH ran more teams throughout the year groups in the past, but it doesn't sound like the average boy is really part of the football set-up at the moment. There is a paid-for football club after school, instead.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JHGS do football for everyone though according to the website:
"Participation sports: Pupils will rotate through the following activities over the course of the year; football, handball, table tennis, basketball, volleyball, tag rugby, rounders, mini tennis, crazy catch, badminton and futsal (in the leisure centre). Pupils are grouped primarily by form group for these activities. "
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi,

Last year this time I was asking for these comparisons between JHGS and RGS. I had my heart set on RGS but my son had a very strong preference for JHGS.

He’s now in Yr7 at JHGS and absolutely loving it. Considering that he didn’t know any of the boys in his form, he quickly made friends and always looks forward to going to school. He enjoys his lessons and his homework load is manageable. He loves sport and participates in 4 after school clubs; consequently I can’t stress enough the importance of an easy journey to and from school.

I’m really sorry BucsBorNBred but I’m going to have disagree with you regarding the school communication. I think that the communication between school, parent and child is most excellent. The school sends a weekly newsletter packed with information. The school office and sports office are both fab at responding to my queries promptly. The teachers respond to their email pretty much straight away when my son and I email them with any issues or help with homework.

And I wholeheartly agree with BiscuitEater regarding the football team. My son plays for an academy and for a local football club and was devastated when he wasn’t selected for the team. The boys picked have been scouted and play for (to name a few) Watford and Oxford elite academies. After the initial disappointment, much to my surprise my son picked him and dusted himself off and is now hoping to get into the hockey and squash squad.

All in all, I’d say it’s a great school but ultimately you need to go with your ‘gut’ and perhaps consider your son's view on his school. He’s the one who will be spending the next 7 years there.

Best of luck to you.

PS
Post edited for spelling errors :oops:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

BlueBerry wrote:I’m really sorry BucksBornNBred but I’m going to have disagree with you regarding the school communication. I think that the communication between school, parent and child is most excellent. The school sends a weekly newsletter packed with information. The school office and sports office are both fab at responding to my queries promptly. The teachers respond to their email pretty much straight away when my son and I email them with any issues or help with homework.
You are right BlueBerry - I was maybe being a bit harsh but the weekly newsletter used to be much more informative and I do find that a lot of information is passed on through the boys with an eventual email confirming the situation. I also think they have upped their game re contacting the teachers as at one stage I was told we could not contact them directly but had to go through the office! As you say, once you make contact the teachers are quick to respond (though I haven't had a response for a few months for one of my email questions :roll: )

BB - so pleased your DS is enjoying his time there (and did you notice I didn't use the Men in Black as a selling point?) :lol: :wink:
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

Yes, Guest55. There is a paid for after school football club for boys who don't make the team. That is not quite the impression boys get from hearing that "JHGS is a big football school, RGS is a big rugby school."

There are lots of reasons to choose JH - the parents I know with boys there are happy with the school. But DON'T make it all about football vs rugby!