Tutors seem to have upped the ante

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Tutors seem to have upped the ante

Post by yoyo123 »

Exactly, scary mum!

When I tutored I spent my time going over areas which the child found difficult, working through NVR and VR problems and speeding up mental maths and times tables.

School will be doing heaps of SPAG, comprehension and creative writing, so unless a pupil wanted clarification I would not spend much time on that. I spent an hour a week withh the child.

Incidentally, one year I made the grand profit of £75.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I DIY tutored my DS last year and he passed easily under the old CEM syle exam. I didn't get sucked into the tutoring frenzy as I was a newbie to the area and didnt know of the Berks/Bucks fever of tutoring frenzy!

I'm not sure the puropose of my post really, but i just wanted to let you know that there are children who pass with DIY tutoring and who didn't rely on external tutition. On average, I spent 1hr a week with DS going through 11+ books. Some weeks we did nothing as he was too busy with his extracurricular, other weeks we did slightly more. We didn't have a strict routine as such but Saturday was the day that we knew that we had to hit the books (I work full time and I have a toddler).

Good luck!
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

This year, in my son's school 19 passed. All 19 children had tutoring. My son was number 19 scoring 120.75. I'm now kicking myself that we didn't do more. We did DIY tutoring at home but it was never everyday, he would never let me!!!! This year it was a new test with new sections. No one really knew what to expect, so that really didn't help us. Our HT has said it was the hardest 11+ she had seen in 15 years!

edited - thanks
Last edited by lea2124 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest you remove the number of children as it will identify the school?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Guest55 wrote:May I suggest you remove the number of children as it will identify the school?
:shock: Really?

And why is that so important? That is, what does it matter if the school is identified?
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

good point Guest55. Edited
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It may not matter but it could identify people and their children.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

lea2124 wrote:This year, in my son's school 19 passed. All 19 children had tutoring. My son was number 19 scoring 120.75. I'm now kicking myself that we didn't do more. We did DIY tutoring at home but it was never everyday, he would never let me!!!! This year it was a new test with new sections. No one really knew what to expect, so that really didn't help us. Our HT has said it was the hardest 11+ she had seen in 15 years!

edited - thanks

I have heard quite a few people saying it was a harder test than last year. I thought the GL test would have been a little easier due to the fact it was supposed to support the curriculum. Having had my eldest go through CEM ( which was hideous !) I welcomed the change. I wonder why it’s being perceived as being so difficult? Dolly xx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I was thinking that Dollydripmat. My son tells me that his biggest challenge with the CEM test was that he couldn't go back to the previous sections. He said that some were really easy and he had time left within that sections, whilst other sections were really tricky and he ran out of time.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Blueberry I think from what I was told it was the same with regards to not being able to go back as the sections were timed too in the new GL. No matter what I think it hasn’t made much difference many Bucks kids displaced and awaiting review. Dolly xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now