Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:05 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9235
Location: Buckinghamshire
I think this is going to be an interesting year for consultations, with changes to catchment areas and some schools chasing the holy grail of additional PP funding.

I will post links to the consultations here as they appear on the schools' websites, together with any immediate observations. Please feel free to point out anything I've missed!

Once all the schools have declared, I will try to summarise the new policies for ease of reference.

First to declare seems to be Aylesbury GS: https://www.ags.bucks.sch.uk/wp-content ... tation.pdf (Consultation from Friday 19 October 2018 until Friday 30 November 2018)

Their oversubscription criteria don't appear to have changed, but there is a big change to the school's catchment area. If approved, it will extend some way towards Wycombe, in the hope of addressing the pressure on places that we saw last year in the south-east of the county.

Current catchment area here: https://www.ags.bucks.sch.uk/wp-content ... a-2018.pdf

Proposed catchment area here: https://www.ags.bucks.sch.uk/wp-content ... l-2020.pdf

This will potentially have a huge effect on applicants from out-of-county to the north, in Beds and MK. The allocation distance on 1st March 2020 is likely to reduce significantly as a result.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm
Posts: 332
That’s quite an increase towards Wycombe ! I can’t imagine wanting to send my child to Aylesbury from Downley :? Dolly xx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm
Posts: 25
Burnham Grammar School
We are also consulting on an increase in the Planned Admission Number (PAN) to Year 7 from 150 to 180 students to take effect from September 2021. It should be noted that the PAN from Year 8 onwards is already 180 students and there is a very high demand for places in Year 7.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 9235
Location: Buckinghamshire
Aqua wrote:
Burnham Grammar School
We are also consulting on an increase in the Planned Admission Number (PAN) to Year 7 from 150 to 180 students to take effect from September 2021. It should be noted that the PAN from Year 8 onwards is already 180 students and there is a very high demand for places in Year 7.

I'm watching BGS with interest. Although they chose to consult voluntarily about the new PP places (and the change to the PAN) back in June, they are still required under the Admissions Code to conduct a statutory consultation on their Admissions Policy between 1st October 2018 and 31st January 2019.

Quote:
Admissions Code 15 b)
consultation must be for a minimum of 6 weeks and must take place between 1 October and 31 January of the school year before those arrangements are to apply. For example: for arrangements which are to apply to applications in 2016 (entry in September 2017), consultation must be completed by 31 January 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm
Posts: 25
BGS

I have observed one more interesting thing

For Pupil Primium Funding reserved seat they may go to bellow 121 cut-off.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... 1528717026


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 6612
It might help people if you summarise here (and I can't see a section 18).
If you are talking about the allowances for pupil premium, the school wrote to parents last year to tell them this was coming. I think it forms part of the criteria for being allowed to expand (Sally-Anne, please correct me if I've got that wrong).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 am
Posts: 3
I saw this on AGS website yesterday and I am a bit annoyed. It seems AGS plans to extend their catchment area quite a lot, but from 2020 admin policy, it doesn't mention the school will increase the number of pupils they will take, still 186! That means it will be harder to get in, even though my child passes 121 score next year, he might not get a place if the school in full! We are thinking to send a consultation letter to the school, but worry the school will pin down our name if our child needs to appeal nex year...

Also it mentioned the catchment area will extend for grammar schools in Aylesbury, I check Sir Henry Floyd website but I can't find this proposal anywhere, unless I miss something out?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm
Posts: 1763
Pucca wrote:
I saw this on AGS website yesterday and I am a bit annoyed. It seems AGS plans to extend their catchment area quite a lot, but from 2020 admin policy, it doesn't mention the school will increase the number of pupils they will take, still 186! That means it will be harder to get in, even though my child passes 121 score next year, he might not get a place if the school in full! We are thinking to send a consultation letter to the school, but worry the school will pin down our name if our child needs to appeal nex year...

Also it mentioned the catchment area will extend for grammar schools in Aylesbury, I check Sir Henry Floyd website but I can't find this proposal anywhere, unless I miss something out?

Your annoyance may be misplaced. Do you currently live in the AGS catchment? How far away from the school are you? It's possible that the catchment extension won't affect you at all.

The appeal process is carried out fairly and independently. You won't annoy the school or prejudice your chances by responding to the consultation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 am
Posts: 3
Quote:
Your annoyance may be misplaced. Do you currently live in the AGS catchment? How far away from the school are you? It's possible that the catchment extension won't affect you at all.

The appeal process is carried out fairly and independently. You won't annoy the school or prejudice your chances by responding to the consultation.


Thank you anotherdad, 'annoyed' probably is a wrong word to use, 'panic' should be a better description I suppose. Yes we are within the catchment area, about less than 10 miles away. Just started to prepare the 11+ for my son and find the information about it. Before I thought as long as my son can pass 121 score, he will be offered a place, then realise even if he gets 121, he is only 'qualified', doesn't mean he 'definitely' will get in. Has this ever happened to anyone? Pass 121 score but still couldn't get in as the school is full?

Found this proposal from AGS website about extend the catchment area, also the admin policy for 2020, it just seems the AGS is trying to make the application harder so they can acquire brighter students. It frustrates me regarding the whole 11+ process plus the tougher application. Thank you for your advise, we will send a letter to the school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 16127
All Bucks students who qualify will get a GS place somewhere - I can't see why you are worried. The qualification '121' won't alter ..

Do you live in Bucks?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019