What is the cut off marks for buckinghamshire?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loopylala

Re: What is the cut off marks for buckinghamshire?

Post by loopylala »

Dollydripmat wrote:I despair since Friday , there has been many posts like this :shock: :shock: Dolly xx
There have been plenty more comments like this on Facebook groups.

There also seem to be a few parents asking about how to prepare their year 2 & 3 child. The tutors are in full swing offering lots of supports and advice, as you would expect.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I commend all regular contributors on this forum for their self control over these sorts of posts. So frustrating for those parents whose DC have narrowly missed the qualifying mark. I really hope that the posters DC weren't heavily tutored or pushed up the qualifying mark to the detriment of those DC who live in travelling distance of the grammar schools. A bonkers system.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

loopylala wrote:
Dollydripmat wrote:I despair since Friday , there has been many posts like this :shock: :shock: Dolly xx
There have been plenty more comments like this on Facebook groups.

There also seem to be a few parents asking about how to prepare their year 2 & 3 child. The tutors are in full swing offering lots of supports and advice, as you would expect.
Really! I feel it’s getting worse not better :shock: :( Dolly xx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

MrsChubbs wrote:I commend all regular contributors on this forum for their self control over these sorts of posts. So frustrating for those parents whose DC have narrowly missed the qualifying mark. I really hope that the posters DC weren't heavily tutored or pushed up the qualifying mark to the detriment of those DC who live in travelling distance of the grammar schools. A bonkers system.

I couldn’t have said it better.....it’s the pushing up of the pass mark that infuriates me , displacing a well able Bucks child. I get the impression some OOC are really wanting the super selective sand when they don’t qualify.....it’s oh well let’s go for our second choice BUCKS :shock: :oops: :oops: Dolly xx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are displacing at least two Bucks children because a third qualify. I amuse myself by playing Transfer test bingo ... I have a number of statements and I tick off when each is posted.
Examples are:
Bucks score posted
What is it out of?
Highest score
Highest ever score
Moving into catchment

You get the gist :roll: :lol:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

But surely this problem has come about because a vast number of grammar schools were closed so now everyone is chasing the few remaining ones? GS was once the way of social mobility when everyone had access but now they are for the rich and cunning.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BucksBornNBred wrote:But surely this problem has come about because a vast number of grammar schools were closed so now everyone is chasing the few remaining ones? GS was once the way of social mobility when everyone had access but now they are for the rich and cunning.
This is a recent phenomena, due I believe to the change in the schools admissions code where schools had to give parents sufficient info so they could make an informed decision about whether they stood any reasonable chance of a place. Before that children usually took tests after the CAF had gone in and you could only take the test if the school was on your CAF (I believe this was the case anyway, my DD was the first year to take a test before the CAF).
This change has meant that some parents are sticking their DCs into tests all over the place, often without actually looking at the admissions policies of the schools to see whether it is worth doing.
So not down the the number of GSs changing, that was many years before.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:But surely this problem has come about because a vast number of grammar schools were closed so now everyone is chasing the few remaining ones? GS was once the way of social mobility when everyone had access but now they are for the rich and cunning.
This is a recent phenomena, due I believe to the change in the schools admissions code where schools had to give parents sufficient info so they could make an informed decision about whether they stood any reasonable chance of a place. Before that children usually took tests after the CAF had gone in and you could only take the test if the school was on your CAF (I believe this was the case anyway, my DD was the first year to take a test before the CAF).
This change has meant that some parents are sticking their DCs into tests all over the place, often without actually looking at the admissions policies of the schools to see whether it is worth doing.
So not down the the number of GSs changing, that was many years before.
To be fair, not seen it much, if at all, this year, but à propos Guest55's list,

I live in x and - despite the fact that a) I've lived here since before my eldest DC started primary school and b) I wasn't even born when my local education authority decided to convert all its grammar, technical and secondary modern schools to comprehensives - I have just discovered that there are no grammar schools here and my DC must go to.a grammar school...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Sickening, isn't it?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think I would like to agree to disagree... and don't get me started on choice and information overload as I think that opened up a whole new can of worms.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now