What’s a partner school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: What’s a partner school?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:Yes that's why I added a list but the sentence got very complicated.
I do realise it's difficult for you maths folk. :wink:
SA I find this very worrying about the private sector......most send their child to a private prep to gain an advantage for the 11+ , then they are allowed to administer the test by themselves, with no outside authorities involved! I do feel foul play could be a possibility. Bucks schools gain no advantage with sitting the test or how many pass. Why should they be allowed to do this :oops: Dolly x
With one possible exception, I don't believe that any of the Bucks prep schools can be accused of deliberate maladministration of the test. One Bucks prep school messed up a few years ago, and they were rapped over the knuckles, but it was a completely unintentional mistake. Another OoC Partner school also did the same thing, quite inadvertently some years earlier, which caused a much larger storm.

It is important to recognise that even a Bucks State Primary School can manipulate testing conditions if there is a small number of corrupt staff willing to play along! It's easy to think that only the private sector can be self-serving, but that isn't always true.
When parents go to them for a 11+ qualification I'm sure they do all they can like photocopying the paper to help with the next year.
I don't believe that such practices are any more prevalent in Partner/private schools than they are in state schools. I did occasionally receive copies of the old GL test, and one of them came (via a circuitous route) from a Bucks primary school.
What was the penalty for The Gateway when they gave the familiarisation paper to children to take home a few years ago? No penalty sends a certain message to these schools.
Yes, that is the first example I mentioned above. The Head was spoken to very seriously, and she was very deeply embarrassed about the school's/her failure to administer the test properly. It was a completely honest mistake, given that, with the previous GL papers, familiarisation papers were always sent home.

There, but for the grace of God, go all of us in some way. If you can kill that myth about cheating, it would not be overdue.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I understand what your saying SA but the state schools have no reason to cheat the system. Sadly in the world we live , I don’t share your views in the private sector. I’m not saying the do it but it’s still wrong they are allowed to take the test in their own school. I know of one school in particular where the pressure is immense for the kids to pass because parents are paying the school to get them through. At a state its a lottery as many schools in Bucks have very few that get close to passing . Just my opinion , not intended to offend . Dolly x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dollydripmat wrote:I understand what your saying SA but the state schools have no reason to cheat the system. Sadly in the world we live , I don’t share your views in the private sector. I’m not saying the do it but it’s still wrong they are allowed to take the test in their own school. I know of one school in particular where the pressure is immense for the kids to pass because parents are paying the school to get them through. At a state its a lottery as many schools in Bucks have very few that get close to passing . Just my opinion , not intended to offend . Dolly x
I think we both know which school you are referring to. Please don't let that colour your perception of the other private schools who administer the test.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

During KS2 tests 10% of schools have no notice visits to check everything is being done properly. I've never understood why this couldn't happen for the Transfer Test ...
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Dollydripmat wrote:I understand what your saying SA but the state schools have no reason to cheat the system. Sadly in the world we live , I don’t share your views in the private sector. I’m not saying the do it but it’s still wrong they are allowed to take the test in their own school. I know of one school in particular where the pressure is immense for the kids to pass because parents are paying the school to get them through. At a state its a lottery as many schools in Bucks have very few that get close to passing . Just my opinion , not intended to offend . Dolly x
I think we both know which school you are referring to. Please don't let that colour your perception of the other private schools who administer the test.
It’s not just that school . Did you know that. A certain school has an end of year 6 prize giving for the highest 11+ mark ! When a test is so important to many in the state sector I find it truly frustrating when the private sector are allowed to test on their premises, transparency is the key. As per usual it will never change. Just for the record I was educated privately, I have nothing against them but just not sure if they follow the rules to the latter. Dolly
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Guest55 wrote:During KS2 tests 10% of schools have no notice visits to check everything is being done properly. I've never understood why this couldn't happen for the Transfer Test ...
Exactly ! Especially with a test that is so important that it is administered correctly . You think it would be a time when spot checks were mandatory. Dolly x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now