Out of county applicants for 2019 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Out of county applicants for 2019 test

Post by ToadMum »

My point was more that it was an example of a probable breach of the code, not an example of how faith schools are (legally) allowed to do that, tjough.

I guess it may be a question of those who fit Cat.1 are hardly going to challenge it and perhaps the 'not sufficiently RC' remainder either don't feel the need to apply there anyway or even if they might, just thinking, oh, we can't- they won't let us sit the exam because we're not Cat.1 and move on. Most people have no real idea about the Admissions Code. Including, I have to say, some schools' governing bodies, it would seem :shock:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

In which case, they should be reported to the Schools' Adjudicator, here.

That's my homework for the weekend sorted.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:My point was more that it was an example of a probable breach of the code, not an example of how faith schools are (legally) allowed to do that, tjough.

I guess it may be a question of those who fit Cat.1 are hardly going to challenge it and perhaps the 'not sufficiently RC' remainder either don't feel the need to apply there anyway or even if they might, just thinking, oh, we can't- they won't let us sit the exam because we're not Cat.1 and move on. Most people have no real idea about the Admissions Code. Including, I have to say, some schools' governing bodies, it would seem :shock:.
Yep you’re probably right, but my point is that, it’s actually a sensible thing to do. Rightly or wrongly. (And I know this is quite a common thing in faith schools)
Amber

Post by Amber »

How does DAO get round the admissions code then? They only allow children in their catchment area to sit the test, don't they?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I think it's because they're only partially selective so different rules apply.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Can't the grammar schools arrange their tests in such a way that there is no advantage to people with no intention of going there in sitting the tests? For example, can't they all have their tests on the same day? Then people would have to think more carefully about where to sit the test. Or would that also be seen as unfair?!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Trafford RC grammar schools seem to manage to tell the difference between registering to sit an exam and actuallyy applying for a place:

https://www.loretogrammar.co.uk/1296/year-7-2019-entry
http://www.st-ambrosecollege.org.uk/lib ... RMINED.pdf

(What is it about RC girls' schools and hideous blazers, though? The Usuline in Brentwood is even worse :shock: . And our local one obviously felt that there was only one way to resist the temptation - their uniform doesn't include a blazer :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We often see posts on here from parents thinking it’s unfair when two schools have tests in the same day and refuse to allow a late sitting (other than for illness). The schools can be miles and miles apart too, but somehow expected to know that someone might want a child to take both.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Deb70 wrote:Can't the grammar schools arrange their tests in such a way that there is no advantage to people with no intention of going there in sitting the tests? For example, can't they all have their tests on the same day? Then people would have to think more carefully about where to sit the test. Or would that also be seen as unfair?!
People that are so invested in the process that they are prepared to ignore guidance and/or try and cheat the system would simply present their child as being ill so they could sit one on the day and the other at a later date. People like that will always find a way, whether sneaky or downright unlawful.

Up until a few years ago, the Bucks test was sat after most of the other counties' and independent schools' tests, so there was no advantage to using it as a mock. I think my daughter sat the tests in October whereas nowadays the children take the test at the start of year six. The disadvantage to the old timetable was that you completed the CAF ignorant of the result (the result came in late November I think) and I believe the test was brought forward to give time to mark and get the results out before the CAF deadline. A small tweak to push it back another week or two would probably deter a lot of mock sitters, though.

I think the longer-standing members on here have come to the conclusion that the simplest, lawful way of sorting out the mock and tourism problem is to increase the percentage of qualifiers from the current 34% to something higher, the figure settled on to be determined by analysis of recent cohorts' data to see at what point all the displaced Bucks and borders children would have qualified. Let's suppose that's 40%. So 40% score 121 or above but the places are then filled by catchment/distance, thereby freezing out long-distance applicants and nullifying the effect of the mock-sitters. If the judgement is accurate, the test should select a third of Bucks and borders children for grammar school among the rest.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have a feeling that somewhere 'up north' (sorry, I can't remember which section I think I once read it in :oops: ) does / used to do it like that?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now