Is a boy school or a mixed school better for a boy?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Is a boy school or a mixed school better for a boy?

Post by Guest55 »

RedPanda wrote:There is an argument (and some data to back it up, I think) that single-sex schools get better results because there are less distractions. I'd guess it isn't a huge difference.
Really? Most of that 'data' has been complied by single gender schools ... hardly likely to draw any other conclusions are they?

Ofsted had a different conclusion ....
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Guest55 wrote:
RedPanda wrote:There is an argument (and some data to back it up, I think) that single-sex schools get better results because there are less distractions. I'd guess it isn't a huge difference.
Really? Most of that 'data' has been complied by single gender schools ... hardly likely to draw any other conclusions are they?

Ofsted had a different conclusion ....
You might be right of course but I thought Ofsted (or at least Wilshaw) supported single-sex schools and acknowledged their better performance in league tables. Have you got a link to the Ofsted report?

Happy to be corrected as I have a couple of dogs in this fight :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The report is quoted in the Sunday Times [behind a paywall] so apologies for posting this link to the Daily Fail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Thanks Guest. I don't have a an account for the Daily Mail but from the first few lines (I can see), it says:
This is despite the fact single-sex schools tend to perform better in academic league tables and exams.
There appears to be data out there which is all I was saying.

Interesting that he singles out working-class boys as not suitable for single-sex schools though, I never thought about that.

OP? Would you class yourself as working class? Joking of course. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

The evidence on both sides is very mixed. A quick search on google scholar seems to reveal more evidence against single sex schools than in favour, and this is more the case once you move beyond raw academic results. Some studies show marginal gains in English when girls and boys are educated separately - not for Maths, interestingly, and the effect is stronger in girls. Some authors strongly advocate separation and some equally strongly advocate co-education and almost all of them have an agenda. This from one (2011):
We argue that one change in particular—sex-segregated education—is deeply misguided, and often justified by weak, cherry-picked, or misconstrued scientific claims rather than by valid scientific evidence. There is no well-designed research showing that single-sex (SS) education improves students' academic performance, but there is evidence that sex segregation increases gender stereotyping and legitimizes institutional sexism.
And this from another (2010):
In terms of the overall level of qualifications achieved, single-sex schooling is positive for girls at age 16 but neutral for boys, while at later ages, single-sex schooling is neutral for both sexes. However, single-sex schooling is linked to the attainment of qualifications in gender-atypical subject areas for both sexes, not just during the school years, but also later in life.
There are loads of similar conclusions drawn on both sides.

Friends who are doctors all suggest that eating disorders and social anxiety tend to be higher in all-girls schools, and some authors have written about this in the context of girls who adopt a 'superwoman' role - you only have to listen to some of the rhetoric coming out of some all-girls schools to see that some may foster this attitude. Several authors have supported a connection between single sex girls schools and disordered eating; one or two have not. There is a perception also in the literature that high-achieving girls schools are worse for this. Personally I could never have sent my daughter to a single sex school and had no problem doing so with my sons: a close doctor friend was the same. Anecdote, however, is not evidence.

I think personally that single sex schooling is really weird and so do most of my non-Muslim foreign friends. In Arab countries of course girls and boys are educated separately after primary school as a matter of course. Make of that what you will in terms of gender stereotyping.
Anecdote

Post by Anecdote »

There appears to be a lot of data available. So it depends on the specific data that you use. Data only tells a small part of any schools' story I suspect.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Amber wrote:I think personally that single sex schooling is really weird
Didn't we agree some time ago that I was going to orchastrate an end to single-sex schools and you were going to tackle the Grammars?

I didn't want to cloud the OP's decision but (seeing as we are here) I am of the same oppinion. Don't get me started on religious schools. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Many of the research is not very 'independent' and, since you can't replicate it, I'd say it was dodgy.
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedPanda wrote:
Amber wrote:I think personally that single sex schooling is really weird
Didn't we agree some time ago that I was going to orchastrate an end to single-sex schools and you were going to tackle the Grammars?
I have given up RP. The misinformation around grammar schools seems to come from outer space or somewhere. Brexit has taught me that many people prefer not to understand something, but instead take big decisions based on blind faith, prejudice and gut feeling.
RedPanda wrote:Don't get me started on religious schools.
See above. :wink:

OP - neither of my sons is 'macho', even remotely interested in computer games, rugby, football, brawling, leering at women, tipping beer over their heads, mugging old ladies or any other thing which might come to mind when you and others use the word 'typical' on here. They have both really enjoyed their all male school; but they also have lots of female friends and family and have not developed any unhealthy attitudes around women as far as I can tell - in fact I would say both are feminists. If your son has grown up to believe there is one model of masculinity and he doesn't fit it, a school isn't going to make much difference one way or another. As I said upthread, there isn't one model of womanhood/manhood/girlhood etc, so why not just forget the stereotypes and see what you and he think of the schools themselves? FWIW I think a lot of the gender dysphoria we hear so much about these days arises from the difficulties both girls and boys can experience in fitting their gender stereotypes. We need to take a step back from all this imho and just allow people to be people, on a big spectrum of peoplehood.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think it boils down to the fact that all children are individual. There is no 'one size fits all'

If you have a choice, I would go for the one that seems right for that particular child.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now