Confused with GCSE ranking tables

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Justinterested

Re: Confused with GCSE ranking tables

Post by Justinterested »

They all last posted on the same weekend at beginning of December and have been silent since .Jane Eyre last posted a week or so later and has removed all her extensive French Language material ! All very strange !
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Justinterested wrote:They all last posted on the same weekend at beginning of December and have been silent since .Jane Eyre last posted a week or so later and has removed all her extensive French Language material ! All very strange !
Maybe ET came back to collect a few more experts or don't you buy into my UFO theory :lol: I used to love JaneEyre's French thread (didn't understand much as I only got an O'Level, but loved trying to understand!) And G55 was so helpful on all the maths questions and really helped a lot of people. I hope they are all happy on Pluto :wink:
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I don't know if it just me being dim...

But can someone explain the GCSE tables in The Times today. It says rankings are based on the average score per pupil from their best 8 GCSEs inc English and Maths. The maximum grade was a 9. So in my mind the maximum score achieved would be 8 GCSEs x 9 =72. However, the top schools were recording average scores per pupil as, for example, 81.7.

How does that work? Am I missing something?
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Blitz I believe it has something to do with the double weighting for maths and English to reflect their importance so it can go over 72. If you fancy some reading to send you to sleep you can find out more here. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ulated.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Justinterested wrote:They all last posted on the same weekend at beginning of December and have been silent since .Jane Eyre last posted a week or so later and has removed all her extensive French Language material ! All very strange !
Has anyone tried PMing them? Maybe they got fed up with some people (this is not directed at you or anyone in particular) attacking their views and advice.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

gg234 wrote:I am really confused with the following two GCSE results table

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0 ... e-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (This one only included grammar schools)

http://www.londonpreprep.com/2018/08/gcse-results-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (This one includes private and grammar schools)

Rankings for grammar schools are so much variation between them.
The first link are 2017 not 2018 results, Upton Court did well that year Progress 8 of 1.21 but this year have dropped a bit (0.99)
In the recently published 2018 results, Beaconsfield High School are way up the list (Progress 8 of 1.21)

It's easier to check on the .gov school league table site, but they mainly show state schools.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Justinterested wrote:This forum has been very quiet without words from Guest 55 , Another Dad and also Amber !
This is a topic they would normally contribute to ??.
I was thinking that too.....
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Are they playing hide'n'seek?

"Come out, come out wherever you are".
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

RGS have explained their score.
https://www.rgshw.com/news/?pid=3&nid=1&storyid=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now