Tributes to Sally-Anne

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Sally-Anne RIP

Post by Etienne »

Sally-Anne played a key role in my son's (successful) appeal. She gave her time and expertise freely and I will forever be grateful for her generosity and patience.
As a parent, Sally-Anne had been through an unsuccessful appeal herself.
She said it was only after finding this forum that she came to realise she had done everything wrong!

She was a fast learner, and soon turned herself into an expert on the subject of appeals.

Anyone can read and quote the Admissions & Appeals Codes, but Sally-Anne could do more than that.
She is one of the very few people I've come across who had never served on an appeal panel, but understood instinctively how panel members tend to react, and how to come up with arguments that might sway them.

She had a natural gift for advocacy which - combined with her intellect and sharp eye for detail - made her help with school admission appeals so invaluable.
Etienne
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I wish this message wasn't too late for S-A, but I just want to thank all the regular contributors. Your advice is invaluable and means a lot to so many people.
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

Gutted to hear this. As a long time lurker and occasional poster, Sally-Anne's massive contribution and extreme helpfulness and usefulness could never be overstated. She must have touched and helped so many hundreds of lives directly, and probably thousands indirectly who may never have posted, but used her advice. Her support during our waiting list stress was so much appreciated.

She had so much to give, and I can only imagine that if the loss feels huge here, how enormous it must be for those who knew her in real life. One of life's wonderful people that restores faith in humanity. She'll be sorely missed.
Bepositive

Post by Bepositive »

Very shocking news. My heart just bounced when I read RIP, really sad.

“I was looking for your posts for some time and then I thought you were on holidays and then I thought you have retired of being a moderator....and every time I came to this forum I wondered where you were.... and now got the shocking answer”. RIP Sally-Anne
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

I was so upset to see the message about Sally-Anne late last night.
I did not know her and didn't even see many of her numerous posts (9000+apparently) as I do not read the Bucks page; but last year I posted my first question on this forum and she sent me such a warm and encouraging message that I felt I would like to add my sincere condolences to her family and friends.

From reading these posts I see that this response was just her natural helpfulness.

Rest in peace Sally-Anne, and wishing strength, and sending love to all her family and friends.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

So saddened to see this. Sally-Anne helped me tremendously through three appeal processes and without the input from both her and Etienne, I'm sure we would not have seen them be successful.

Her generosity of spirit was a true gift which she shared so freely. There are so many children who have benefitted from her insights, it's hard to quantify.

Sending my sincere condolences and sympathy to her family and friends.
Last edited by Mostlymum on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Sorry to hear the sad news. I didn't really know Sally-Anne that well but it is clear that she was an extremely valuable member of this forum who frequently made the effort to give up her time to help and advise others and will certainly be much missed.

My sympathies to all her family and friends including other forum members who knew her well.
Louey

Post by Louey »

I'm really really shocked and sad to read this news. Sally-Anne went out of her way to help me over the course of 18 months with my complicated situation. She sent me numerous PMs, giving advice and put me in touch with others who could help. She was genuinely delighted when in our case it all worked out. She always gave good advice and was free with her time. I wondered where she had been the last few weeks (I still lurk on the boards) but I wasn't expecting to read that post. I was looking forward to "talking" to her again in a few years when my youngest child will be going through the 11+

To those of you who knew her in real life - I hope you can pass on the messages on here to her family. They ought to know that she was held in very high regard and will be missed.
Hornsey

Post by Hornsey »

Dear All

Thank you all for your additions to my post which has painted a perfect picture of 'Sally-Anne'. As with some of you, I met her several times in real life and I feel very sorry that we have lost a great colleague. Fortunately, I always got the impression that S-A knew how much her work was valued and appreciated by parents and other members of the forum.

I know that her husband and DCs will be really touched by these comments and I will send a link to them so that they can view them in their own time.

Very best wishes

'Hornsey'
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

I’m so sorry to hear this news. The success of our appeal last year was definitely partly due to Sally-Anne’s wisdom shared on numerous threads and postings that helped me shape our case. I’m truly thankful. Clearly there are a lot of parents and children on whom she has had such a positive impact.

Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Woobywoo x