Apart from GL, what other 11+ exams Bucks kids can take?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hello198012

Apart from GL, what other 11+ exams Bucks kids can take?

Post by hello198012 »

Hi,
My DC will be sitting for 11 plus in Sept 2019. As we live in Bucks, Bucks GL test will be our preferred/default option.

For some reason if the Kid is not doing well on that particular exam day what other Grammar school exams kid can appear please?

1) I would like to restrict the number of 11+ tests to 2 or 3 max.

2) I don’t want to my DC to sit for exams where there is 0% chance of getting a seat due to catchment policies. Meaning no need to write the exam for the sake of it.

If my DC doesn't pass GL then I will be sending to non-grammar (state school) as Private school is not an option for me.

But our preference is Grammar school and hence would like to explore other possibilities too (as the online registration recently opened for other consortiums)

What other 11Plus exams can a kid take who studies Primary in Bucks now?

Any feedback from the members are very much appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Apart from GL, what other 11+ exams Bucks kids can take?

Post by scary mum »

It will depend on where you are in Bucks. Some of the Slough grammar schools may be accessible but you would have to look at their catchment rules. Other than that, without moving there probably are none within reach.
I wouldn't get hung up on it being a grammar school. There are plenty of excellent schools that aren't grammar schools. A bright child will do well wherever they go. Remember that grammar schools get good results because of the intake, not because of some magic that goes on in the classroom.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Which part of Bucks are you in? As Scarymum says, advice is different depending on yohr location, but apl the Bucks grammars are distance based and there aren’t a lot of practical options apart from the Slough grammars if you are right to the South (Stoke Oges/Farnham common/Iver) or possibly a North London option if you are right to the East (but commute would be awful and I know nothing about those admission criteria).
hello198012

Post by hello198012 »

Aethel and Scarymum,
Many thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

We live in Hazlemere, High Wycombe
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In that case it will be Bucks only. You could look at Slough but I think most of the schools have introduced catchments now to prevent crazy journeys (check the schools' websites). It would be a horrible journey for 7 years.
ETA: I see you had quite a lot of advice on this before moving last autumn. Presumably you are therefore happy with the local Upper schools and don't want to move again?
scary mum
hello198012

Post by hello198012 »

You are correct Scary mum. It is better to write only GL Exam and hope for the best , if not stick to the chosen non-grammar (state school) as we are in the catchment.

Once again, many thanks for all your input.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I am not familiar with High Wycombe but what about local private schools that might have their own entrance exams?

Alternatively, if they don’t do well in the 11+, they can try again for the 12+ or the 13+. There’s also selection review and appeals process you can try.