Question to Patrica

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Patricia

I am from the Birmingham area and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the Birmingham tests. It seems that no one is posting any advice on the B'ham forum at present.

I am applying for the KE in Birmingham and was hoping you would advise on types of material to revise. My sons scores are acceptable on the VR and NVR but his comprehension and maths requires some hard work and motivation.

I myself, never achieved any qualifications from school and feel helpless sometimes as my maths is very poor and I find the comprehension equally challenging. Nevertheless, my son and I have a great laugh and a giggle when I helplessly attempt to work out the answers for him.

I would be grateful if you would point me in the right direction.

Regards
Andy
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Andy

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on Birmingham King Edward tests, from what I can gather they no longer use NFER, using the University of Durham Curriculum, Evaluation & Management Centre instead.

Try posting under Birmingham, some one may see your request.

The following link may be of some help....

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=31710000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
vp

The new VR CDs

Post by vp »

Hi

My son takes his 11 plus exam in 4 weeks!! He has completed most of the Tutors papers and we are leaving Nfer and Bright Sparks to start next week.

My daughter will be sitting the exam next year.

Is it worth me purchasing the new CDs that Mike Edwards and co have produced and if so, should I download or use the computer?

Still having problems with vocab. Have gone through your list and tutors Nfer, and we read! What can I do with so little time? Do you have a magic wand!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear VP

What type of scores has your son been scoring? Is he completing in time?

As you have still to complete Bright Sparks and NFER, its not really worth buying the CD, unless his scoring has been low or he is running out of time.

Is it his vocab that lets him down in the tests? is their a particular vocab type of question that he struggles with?

Patricia
vp

new cds

Post by vp »

Hi Patricia

Thanks for responding. My sons scores around 43/50 for the IPS papers and around 72/80 for the Tutors papers. These are the only ones he has done with me. He is born in September so I am aware that he will need to do very well. He has no issue with speed. Infact he normally has around 10 minutes spare. I am worried that the actual test is more challenging then the papaers he has done.
His vocabulary is the major problem. Sometimes he cannot see the words that need to be added into a sentence (type F), othertimes it is just lack of understanding what the word means. He has slipped up on words like 'placid', impede etc.

He particulary has problems with type Q. He did not see, for instance, the word 'plumage' (plum age) or hearten (hear ten).

As for the CD I am interested in it for my daughters sake too. she sits this exam next year. Download or purchase the CD?
As always, your help is very greatly appreciated.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear VP

Type F can be difficult for children with poor spelling, have you seen the following link, page 2, 5th post down?

viewtopic.php?t=518&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Re compound words, speed writing can help here, tell your son to quickly write out all 9 words, often the 'real' word will jump out at them

eg. [ all sty pal ] [ sow low led ]

allsow, alllow, allled, stysow, stylow, styled, palsow, pallow, palled

As you son is completing the tests quite quickly, he has time to write out the 'words'

See also viewtopic.php?t=527

Good Luck

Patricia
Liz

Question to Patricia

Post by Liz »

Have you seen the Walsh set of VR practice papers? To me they seem quite tough and I have seen many different books of papers! Please let me know what you think.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

'Walsh set of VR papers .cannot find them?

Patricia
Liz

Post by Liz »

Apologies if 2 replies appear, I'm new to this forum!

Mary and barbara walsh have brought out 2 books, only recently appeared in Ottakars. Multiple choice, contain all 21 types. They seem hard to me, I've used over the years all the different sets of VR papers and I would really value any comments from anyone else who has seen them!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

Will look today or tomorrow.

Are you a tutor?

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now