Question to Patrica

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AA

Post by AA »

Hi Liz and Patricia

Glad this one has come up.Saw these new papers out and enquired in the book shop whether these were good for Bucks and was told that they were and that they contain all 21 question types.

Bought both books.My daughter found them extremley challenging and after the second one scoring 46 out of 80 her confidence took a nose dive.So I chose to give up on these and use the e-papers from this site.She has scored 66/67 out of 80 and her confidence has now improved.She even scored 10 out of 10 on an ips daily a couple of days ago. So we won't use these as tests any more but will go through them together.

Interested in others thoughts on this one.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Many thanks for speedy replies! My daughter too has found them tough, she has been getting 90+% on all the different types of papers so far and I found these and her marks plummeted!
She has just completed paper 6 and I will now use them as practice to go through in smaller doses, as she has yet to do the NFER ones.
Patricia, I'm not a tutor, just a parent who has done DIY tutoring for my children!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz and AA

On a quick look the first two tests contain 20 types [ leaving out type R] tests 3 and 4 contain all 21 [ Type R at the very end of test 4]

Yes the vocab is a tad hard, but then so is the real test.

I also note that types G and I they are using bracket maths, which NFER Bucks do NOT.

If your children are finding these hard, so as to not knock confidence, use them, as both of you have suggested, as daily, section at a time, together.

Will look at them properly later.

Also liked the fact that they look like NFER, with a very similar answer sheet.

Liz, asked the tutor question, because you mentioned that you had seen many papers over the years, assume you also have older children!

Good Luck to both of you and well done for DIY

Patricia

Post by Guest »

what is the ISBN of the Walsh books?
Liz

Post by Liz »

Daer Patricia,

Yes I agree the vocab is harder, my overall impression of them is that they seem to contain alot of red herrings within the selection of answers! I appreciate this is good as it is so easy for the child to be led astray and they need lots of practise of not letting themselves be tricked!

As said my daughter has done 6 of the papers, apart from the first 2 she has managed to get in the range of 86-93%. I don't think she enjoys them as she finds tham harder and also is more pushed for time.

Have now decided and agreed with her to use them for daily practice, I secretly hope that pack 3 comes out very soon!

Yes, I have older childrenwho have all passed successfully yet I find this whole process extremely stressful!

One last thing! a long time ago you said you would post a list of compound words, are these included in your vocab list on the download section or do you have a separate list. I have collected a list over the years yet I feel lack some of the trickier ones (eg. prim ate)

Thanks
Liz
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

Your daughter is scoring good results on tests with harder vocab, therefore is achieving well, you must be a good teacher!

A compound word list was sent to the site manager some time ago, perhaps I need to chase.

There are many 'odd' compound words, where the child has to change the sounds of the word using normal and phonic sounds eg DO and NATION the word DO the O is the sound as in 'who' so child changes to the sound as in 'doh' making donation NOT dooonation.

A word that children commonly fail to see is come and dies.

Patricia
Liz

Post by Liz »

Dear Patricia,
If you wouldn't mind chasing about the words I'd be most grateful. We have spent alot of time looking at how the sounds change and I've been reinforcing various spelling rules to try and help. We'll keep going, not much longer left now!
Thanks
Liz
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

Meanwhile, google compound words, it throws up various lists and games to play.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Liz

Compound word list now available, there are of course hundreds more, I am always adding to my list, these are common ones.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tricia.pdf

Patricia
Liz

Post by Liz »

Dear Patricia,
Many, many thanks for the list, I'll compare with the ones I've collected and let you know if there any extra's!
Have also looked on the internet, the lists I looked at had mostly the common ones, it's the unusual and therefore trickier ones that cause the problems!!
Thanks again,
Liz
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now