sen and 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

greta

sen and 11+

Post by greta »

Have just found this site and wish I'd found it weeks ago! Have been glued to my PC ever since.
I have a query about how the system works for children who need extra help due to specific learning difficulties. The LEA have just finished formal statementing process of our son and we now have a copy of the statement which includes extra help in school and recommendation for consideration for help in exams and tests. Presumably this includes the 11+(?). However we have been told that the school had to apply for extra time / scribe before end of year 5 which was not done (we've only just got all the reports and statement) and now don't know if it's too late.
Do we need to be asking the LEA or should the school do this? Although he has some SEN, our son is bright and school expect him to pass. Main problem is time it takes him to find the right box on the multi choice answer sheet rather than working out the questions. I would be very grateful for any advice?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Greta

You should ask your school in writing what adjustments can be made for the 11 plus, also request the same from county, explaining that you understand the statement has only just come through, and county need to know in the summer term of year5, however what can be done about it.

See also the following link, suggesting, should you go to appeal, you can ask for case to be heard within the terms of the disability discrimination act.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... idance.pdf

Patricia
greta

Post by greta »

thanks Patricia for the advice and the link. Presumabably we write to admissions at county rather than the SEN team?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Greta

I've very little to add to Patricia's advice which is very sound.

If you do find yourself in an appeal situation, the panel should automatically consider disability, but, if applicable, it's wise to draw their attention to it.

If your son meets the legal definition of disability, and no reasonable adjustments have been made, then ideally you would need to present two cases: one based on disability discrimination, and the other based on extenuating circumstances (including your son's statement) and any alternative academic evidence.

For general advice on appeals (including disability), see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

I think it is Admissions you should contact.

Regards
Etienne
greta

Post by greta »

Thanks Etienne and Patricia for the advice. We have now talked to the school and a request has been made to admissions. We have to wait to hear the outcome. This has all come somewhat late and feels to be adding to the general pressure of the whole experience. I wonder whether their should be a weighting system for the eldest children in a family with naive parents.... I feel I will have a much idea of it all next time around, although I might also have run out of energy by then!