Pass mark in percentage for GL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hasmum

Pass mark in percentage for GL

Post by hasmum »

Hi to anyone who remembers me.
Sorry haven’t been on site for long time.
I had alot on . Work on house.
Firstly so shocked abt Sally Ann RIP. I didn’t know till i logged in today v sad news.

DD is taking test today , V anxious Im sure like hundreds of other parents today.
Has the approx pass mark percentage changed. I remember it was roughly 60-65 % with CEM . Last yr I heard around same , but today someone said around 80%=121.
Is this true?

Can anyone shed any light?
Sitting here worrying :(

Regards
Deb70

Re: Pass mark in percentage for GL

Post by Deb70 »

I think it will depend on what marks everyone else gets. Then the top 30% of scores will pass ("121").
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Yeah it's standardised - so, in a nutshell, if too many children 'pass', the bar will be raised (not quite how it works, so please no pedantic replies) to ensure the correct number of kids get through. No point having 4000 kids pass if only 3000 school places. Similarly, if only 2000 passed (to follow the over simplified example through!), the bar would be lowered and kids with lower scores would get through. So can't really say what the 'pass' percentage is gonna be - as the secret adjusting process (standardised scoring) will jiggle it up or down to cream off the top 30% or so kids (or 25% maybe if lots more applicants than previous years!)
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

The CGP GL Bucks-specific mock exam papers say to "aim for 85%" on those exact papers but they don't say if that's to scrape a pass, or to be pretty much guaranteed to pass and score highly. So not massively helpful.

That's the only percentage I've ever seen mentioned anywhere in relation to Bucks at least.

I suppose the ideal scenario is to have your child come out and say they felt very confident and think they did well, and hear other people say it was a tough exam and they struggled!! Although half the time children will say what they want others to hear rather than the truth about how they found it anyway. So probably can't read anything into that either.

We've got a rule set up that from tomorrow, we don't mention the exam again in the house until around the time the results are due. Still going to worry, but talking about it isn't going to change anything and will make us dwell on it more. It's going to be a long wait!
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi
Thanks for ur replies . Feel better. I thought things had changed.
I did message a tutor i know , she said in last 7 yrs , children who consistently got 60% in their end of term assessments, most got through. So that was reassuring.

Good Luck to everyone
Now for the dreaded wait till home time... and the verdict! :|
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

I put DD is taking rest instead of test In my initial post... silly me!

I've edited it for you - Herman
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

The wait is a killer. I am quite a stoic person...and not easily stressed...but I remember last time I struggled with the wait. The first couple of weeks were OK then the last couple were tiresome!