Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm 

Our school have just advised us that midway through P1 it was realised that the answer sheet didnt have the correct answer options for q's 10 & 13.

BCC have confirmed this is the case and said the answers for those questions won't be included in the Mark's, but what about the time wasted by the children who tried to answer them? How do you quantify for that?

Do all schools sit the exam at the same time, or will children sitting the exam later in the day (on a different day) have the advantage of not wasting time trying to answer questions that can't be answered?

The error in p2 is apparently on a practice paper, but still.

Does anyone knows what happens in this situation? Presumably there will just be more appeal cases?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:41 pm 

We have received the same from the school and i am really surprised to see whoever was proof reading the question paper and answer sheet missed this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm 

What an absolute disgrace and how unprofessional. I hope GL are penalised with a massive fine. The poor children - how stressful for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hi Catherine A123

How infuriating! Presumably that will affect all answers sheets for all schools.

If some schools realised beforehand, would they have told the students not to do questions 10 and 13? If so, wouldn't that mean that those students effectively had more time to the questions that actually counted, and that the kids at other schools who wasted precious time trying to do 10 & 13 are being penalised? It would also be very off-putting (confidence-knocking) to think that you have worked out an answer and then not find it listed.

Which part was it, or are you not allowed to say? Maths/VR/NVR/English/SPaG?

Regarding paper 2 - do you mean it was the practice question, rather than the practice paper?

Darn it - I was feeling quite optimistic!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 pm 

Questions in VR section

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm 

Apologies, I meant practice question not practice paper. Too frustrated to type properly.

I've yet to see my child, but yes presumably many children will have wasted time on this (& potentially got themselves worked up trying to answer something unanswerable), for something that according to BCC won't be counted, but as you say, they could have been spending that time on other questions (as the children who are fore-warned will do presumably).

It doesn't make it a very level playing field does it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm 

I am usually quite a forgiving person...but really...how many pairs of eyes must have read these papers before they were issued?! We DIY'd, but think of all the families who have paid hundreds/thousands in tutor fees to make sure their kids had the best possible chance...and the examination board can't even manage to get the questions right!
At our school, the kids had already started. My son had already answered both questions and hadn't noticed a problem...which doesn't fill me with hope - haha! He has come out happy and feeling really positive so I will leave him in his happy place and not point out that it is not a good sign that he didn't notice that the answers didn't match the questions! No point him spending five weeks worrying (that'll be my job!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:03 pm 

My child mentioned (immediately after the test) that there was a VR question that didn't make sense, and that they'd had to put a random answer down. I think it did put them off a bit, but not massively. They thought they must have done something wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 pm 

The problem is, while some kids will not have been phased by it...others will have. So there may be whole bunch of appeals from families who feel that it did waste time for their kid or that it flummoxed them in some way. How can you compensate fairly for that? Time will tell...it will be interesting to see how it is dealt with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 pm 

It's such a massive, massive cock-up isn't it? How on earth can something like this happen? They have one job!

The effect on the children cannot be measured either can it? How long did they waste trying to find an answer that wasn't there? Did this then knock their confidence? Different schools will have had different responses and ways of dealing with it, also unmeasurable. Then of course there are all the kids who are taking the test later in the day, who will have been told about the error, giving them extra time.

At our school, it was noticed when children put their hands up to question it.

I am so, so angry. It's a horrible, stressful situation for Bucks children, and to then have this happen just makes it even more upsetting.

Luckily for us, my son is happy so I've moved away from him to come here and vent. GL messed up last year too, you really would have thought they could get it right this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next