Gl decision to discount last 6 questions on verbal paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Angudees

Gl decision to discount last 6 questions on verbal paper

Post by Angudees »

Is anyone else unhappy about Gl’s decision to discount last 6 questions on verbal paper, as a result of THEIR error? Seems to me that any borderline child whose strength lies in verbal are now the ones hardest hit. My daughter finished the verbal paper in the time given and that was the paper she was likely to be strongest on. The whole thing send unfair and badly handled by GL. We are all waiting patiently for results and this is just making it all so much harder. Poor children who have all worked so hard and done their best. Good luck to all.
Morty999

Re: Gl decision to discount last 6 questions on verbal paper

Post by Morty999 »

Completely agree.
Did they analyse only those centres that weren’t told in advance.
My child was told not to answer the 2 QS and scores well on VR so now will have score skewed by not getting 6 marks he could have done.
I’ve done the maths and it does affect the score.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Agreed. Does not seem a fair compromise at all. Am really stumped as to how they have deduced it is!
Angudees

Post by Angudees »

Trying to work out how this may or may not affect the weighting with regards to the 50% for verbal....
Maths not my strong point and finding it all very confusing!
SIT

Post by SIT »

My DS was not Warned about the 2 questions by his school, he still completed the VR section and I am so unhappy that the last 6 questions are being discounted as VR has always been his strong point compared to Comprehension or SPAG.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

What would have been your preferred alternative solution?
Angudees

Post by Angudees »

To perhaps re do part of the VR paper and then take the best of the two exam results. I also think that rather than warning people they can’t use this as a reason to go to review, they should actually be looking more closely at borderline cases, those who already had HT support, and very much taking this fiasco into account at that stage. I (as parent of a child whose strength lay in VR and who wasn’t warned about the errors) whose child also completed the test in the time given, am just so worried and disappointed. Furious with the whole thing.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I don't think it would logistically be possible to hold any type of re sit in time for CAF deadline.
sookipixeldust

Post by sookipixeldust »

Morty999 wrote:Completely agree.
My child was told not to answer the 2 QS and scores well on VR so now will have score skewed by not getting 6 marks he could have done.
I’ve done the maths and it does affect the score.
Hi Morty999

I'd be really interested in knowing how did the maths which shows how it affects the score - please could you explain? My interpretation, which is a massive oversimplification and doesn't take into account the age weighting or system to make 100% into 121 marks, is as follows:

Comprehension score + VR score - whatever it is - would be 50% of the overall score.

If so, and the child got a perfect VR score (and just guessing the numbers for English) then:
Original marking system: Comprehension 20/25 + VR score of 19/19 = 39/44 = 88.63% - once divided by half this would 44.32%
Amended marking system: Comprehension 20/25 + VR score of 13/13 = 33/38 = 86.84% - once divided by half this would 43.32%

Difference 1% of overall score.

As I've stressed - I'm just trying to get my head around this issue and this is an oversimplification. I would be grateful for someone more expert that myself to make this easier to understand. What I'd really like is someone to explain to me how this solution by the GL folk is not going to penalise my stronger-in-VR-skills child...!
Last edited by sookipixeldust on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pucca

Post by Pucca »

Copy my response to the previous post regarding th 2 VR Qs errors.

I disagree we should be just passive and wait for the results. My child was the first one to spot the errors in his school but he carried on to finish all the VR Qs. I sympathize for those children who were affected by the poor handly process during the exam, but GL and TBGS shouldn't punish those children who actually strived to finish the VR Qs.

What GL and TBGS should have done is, consider the last 6 VR Qs for parenst/ children to appeal instead of removing the marks. What if some children finished the last 6 Qs but missed out the Qs in between?

My husband and I have sent email to GL and TBGS regarding the latest decision, I hope those parents against the latest decision will do the same.

The whole process is so badly handle, it's such a unfair race.
Angudees wrote:Is anyone else unhappy about Gl’s decision to discount last 6 questions on verbal paper, as a result of THEIR error? Seems to me that any borderline child whose strength lies in verbal are now the ones hardest hit. My daughter finished the verbal paper in the time given and that was the paper she was likely to be strongest on. The whole thing send unfair and badly handled by GL. We are all waiting patiently for results and this is just making it all so much harder. Poor children who have all worked so hard and done their best. Good luck to all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now