Bucks 12 plus entry 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Vicky_vicky

Bucks 12 plus entry 2020

Post by Vicky_vicky »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any information/experience with the Bucks 12 plus.

I have just been on the website to look at registration dates for the 12 plus and I can see that the test is now a paper based test, whereas last year it was an online CEM test.

I am guessing that the paper based test could suggest that it may now be a GL test.

Just wondering if anybody has any information on what the pass score would be and how difficult/level would it be compared to a 11 plus exam.
scary mum

Re: Bucks 12 plus entry 2020

Post by scary mum »

I don't think anyone will have any information on this as it is new. I see that last year 39 pupils of the 200+ actually gained places in years 8 & 9. 30 of those were in year 8 at Burnham Grammar where they have been taking an extra class in year 8 for the last few years. I don't know if it is doing the same this year. Nowhere else had places in year 8.
There are, of course 5 grammar schools who undertake their own testing, so they may have had some places.
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

My child said there was one child who started at the end of Year 7 in his GS, who said that he got in via 12+ ( child started summer 2018 so would have taken 12+ in Jan/Feb 2018?)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think that is late entry to year 7 with the 11 plus taken late rather than the 12 plus.
scary mum
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

My Dd took the 12+ but the computer test. The raw score needed was very much lower that the 11 plus presumably because the exam was not targeted as a practice test.
If you child passes which my Dd didn't, she failed her 11 plus and 12+ but still got 7 X 9's and 3 X 8's at GCSE (just goes to show the entrance system is a pile of... and bares no resemblance of an indicator of how well your DC is likely to do )then you will probably need to appeal a place at your chosen GS. Even if your child doesn't pass it is worth appealing. We got my Dd in on appeal despite failing both years.
I wish you DC very good luck in the 12+
SIT

Post by SIT »

Eccentric wrote:My Dd took the 12+ but the computer test. The raw score needed was very much lower that the 11 plus presumably because the exam was not targeted as a practice test.
If you child passes which my Dd didn't, she failed her 11 plus and 12+ but still got 7 X 9's and 3 X 8's at GCSE (just goes to show the entrance system is a pile of... and bares no resemblance of an indicator of how well your DC is likely to do )then you will probably need to appeal a place at your chosen GS. Even if your child doesn't pass it is worth appealing. We got my Dd in on appeal despite failing both years.
Well done to your DS, that is a fantastic GCSE result :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

SIT wrote:
Eccentric wrote:My Dd took the 12+ but the computer test. The raw score needed was very much lower that the 11 plus presumably because the exam was not targeted as a practice test.
Well done to your DS, that is a fantastic GCSE result :D
Thank you. She was very pleased indeed but is finding it stressful because the expectations of her for A levels are very high now. I wish schools would tell our Dc's that actually GCSE's don't matter ad that they should chill and save their energy for A levels.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Actually GCSEs do matter.It would be negligent of schools to suggest otherwise.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

GCSEs don't matter??!

What do you think the Universities look at when making offers?
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Deb70 wrote:GCSEs don't matter??!

What do you think the Universities look at when making offers?
Actually very few Universities look at GCSE's. What matters is getting a 4 in English and Maths. You can then do a level 3 diploma or an access course to get into Uni. People don't need to go to Uni as soon as they leave school. If A levels are good and Unis don't look at GCSEs why are they important? They are there as a marker because schools like to show that they get good results
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now