Sibling rule in reverse?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

I look forward to the results of your investigations, Sally-Anne!

The 12+ sticky mentions that the closing date to apply to sit the 12+ is in December; when do you have to apply for a Y8 place by? Is it the same application, or a separate one with its own deadline? I couldn't find this explained in the Bucks documentation but apologies if I'm being dense. In fact I couldn't find anything about the 12+, other than in the Late transfer booklet which, as we've established, doesn't apply if you've already sat the 11+.
njg

Post by njg »

We applied with everyone else as a late transfer. He then sat the 12+ in April, got the result in May and were given school places in June.
We could have then appealed that he only got 2nd choice but quite frankly we were exhausted! He then had 2 weeks to decide whether to accept which he did.
I can't tell you it was the right choice because for us it has been a nightmare. We took him out of a school that wasn't quite serving him acedemically but where he was very happy. We have paid the price through months of tears and anxiety followed by anger and resentment. Maybe it's just being 13 but it did coincide with the school change. 7 months later we are beginning to see the light and although you should never say never i don't think i'd do it again....

Good luck.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hertsdad,

It is the later transfer booklet you want - you fill in a form and send it in by December. You really need two level 5s in KS2 and the school needs to support your application.

The 12+ is sat in April (in the Easter holiday) and you get results mid/end of May and get a school allocated (if you are lucky) mid June. You can appeal if you don't get the school you want -

My child very happy in Y9 after 12+ transfer - also now on G&T register so 11+ really did get it wrong!