Burnham Grammar School Should we move into the catchment ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
johnyfriend

Re: Burnham Grammar School Should we move into the catchment

Post by johnyfriend »

I was sure we won't get in at bernard's as he didn't clear and I was planning to appeal as he missed by few marks and cause of his health. The second option bgs we were sure as last year was 3.03 miles and headmaster said distance should increase so we didn't move into catchment. These were the 2 schools my son really liked. The 3rd option was alloted for us which is non grammer. Son's not happy that he couldn't as he did score pretty well in bucks and telling him we missed cause we dnt live inside catchment though it's close is hard.
NHomer76

Post by NHomer76 »

@johnyfriend.

I feel for you and hope second offers reach out for you.

We got the same advice on open day but I couldn’t find any logical reason why they would.

If you had relocated between 31/10 and now then I think your updated address would be included in 2nd round - I am no expert so not sure on this.

We knew people that relocated mid October from Langley at the point of missing Berks but passing Bucks

Relocate to catchment and 12+ although not sure on how that works Other people on here can advise.

Lastly, Good kids with good parents will do well anywhere. Although that probably won’t ease your frustrations or worries
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Even by moving now you have no guarantee places will come up, so I would go on the waiting list & focus on the school you have been allocated, appealing if you feel that's the way to go.
I do think it was a little strange that the head thought the distances would increase again as the PP categories had been introduced, but he must have had his reasons.
scary mum
NHomer76

Post by NHomer76 »

Scarymum I think your advice is probably right.

Regarding the advice from school. I wrote a letter into the school back in October concerned that parents hopes were being raised but never got a reply.

I am sure there where valid reasons
kol

Post by kol »

https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... ar-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article last year might help
There were lot of parents who appealed complained yet no outcome
NHomer76

Post by NHomer76 »

Exactly, which is why for this year I expected them to be more candid with comments.

Parents will hang on the words of headteachers, no one can predict what will happen with allocation distances. But building hopes for people when you aren’t sure (when it happened in 2019’too) isn’t great.

My son was over the moon to be going to Langley Academy with his friends but for others like @johnyfriend it is tough.

Sounds like I am ranting but I remember being told face to face by the head they expected it to go back out to 8 miles and think b******t at the time.

The school will always be full...just seems a bit of an own goal

Again I hope you get in on 2nd round @johnyfriend
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kol wrote:https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... ar-school/

This article last year might help
There were lot of parents who appealed complained yet no outcome
That article is ridiculous and made my blood boil at the time. The school did not admit people who had failed ahead of the poor girl paraded in the paper. If you qualify through review or appeal you have "passed" or qualified just as much as anyone who qualified immediately. The whole point is that the original result has been deemed to not be a true reflection. The girl in question didn't get a place simply because enough children qualified who came above her in the admissions criteria.

People were taken by surprise because BGS has traditionally been undersubscrided - for example in DD's year they were 30 short, in my DSs' years anyone who qualified & applied got in leading to horrendous journeys, no local friends & no community feel to the school. The head just needs to get used to the idea that his school is now much sought after! It's a very positive thing for the school if people are more local.
scary mum