Burnham grammar from reading?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Curiodad

Burnham grammar from reading?

Post by Curiodad »

Our DS has passed in Reading but given he's only narrowly exceedef the cut off here its touch and go if he'll secure a place. He also sat the Bucks exam and has qualified and exceeded the cut off by a more significant margin than he managed for Reading. Am thinking of putting Burnham grammar as a choice of secondary school for him as could pop him on a train from Twyford to Burnham. I was wondering how oversubscribed Burnham is and was there much chance of him securing a place when we live in Lower Earley in Reading.

Many thanks for any advice from fellow forumites.
scary mum

Re: Burnham grammar from reading?

Post by scary mum »

Curiodad wrote:Our DS has passed in Reading but given he's only narrowly exceedef the cut off here its touch and go if he'll secure a place. He also sat the Bucks exam and has qualified and exceeded the cut off by a more significant margin than he managed for Reading. Am thinking of putting Burnham grammar as a choice of secondary school for him as could pop him on a train from Twyford to Burnham. I was wondering how oversubscribed Burnham is and was there much chance of him securing a place when we live in Lower Earley in Reading.

Many thanks for any advice from fellow forumites.
I'm sorry to say that you have no hope of admission to BGS from Reading. Last year the distance went to 3.242 miles at the second allocation. Even if it increased dramatically you would have no hope from Reading. Some years ago, BGS was always "all offered" so there were people from all over the place, including Reading, which is, of course, a relatively easy journey on the train. As you probably know, high scores are of no use in Bucks, anyone with 121+ is deemed qualified.

Good luck with Reading school.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Looking at the allocations distances over the years and knowing the distance to the three tuns cross roads, I don’t think anyone from Reading gets any Bucks school these days (there might be the odd one here and there, but they really are the exception and might be siblings). None for BGS for several years.
Curiodad

Post by Curiodad »

Thanks for the information.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Also the score doesnt matter in bucks, 121 is the same as 141 from admission perspective
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now