Dr challoners high school girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Deb70

Re: Dr challoners high school girls

Post by Deb70 »

Tinkers wrote:
I’m not sure how anyone actually manages to up sticks and move in a couple of weeks between the test results coming out and the 31st October and mange to get all the paperwork in order as well.
I'm not sure either, it would be impossible for us to get our house ready, get it valued, apply for and get jobs, work our notice, get house up for sale, look at new houses, offer, book removals, pack everything etc etc etc.

That's why this is so unfair to many children whose parents cant move so quickly. They sit one test and shouldn't have their school place taken away by a child whose parents had no intention of moving there.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect those who are renting and work agency could in theory, but knowing how ‘quickly’ our agency staff can change jobs (getting new contracts sorted etc) and knowing people who rent, I still don’t know how it’s done.

And that’s without the issues of actually physically moving, plus possibly finding new schools.

A change of deadline would possibly stop those who think it’s a possible and maybe they wouldn’t put their DCs in for various tests in the first place.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Well clearly they are manipulating something in the process, to be able to achieve such quick moves. Even if they argue they have simply given up one rental, to move to another, it is obvious why it is being done. Genuinely for the purpose of being in catchment!
As for whether they do end up staying or not, well that’s another matter. Some do I’m sure, but some certainly don’t. There are a lot of girls currently at DCHS, who come from outside Bucks...if the girls themselves are questioning this, then why is nobody else?
The dates need to be changed, it’s as simple as that.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DCGS has a different cut off date because they had such problems a few years ago.
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Langley Grammar have a very good policy

Applicants must be resident at that address on the closing date for the Common Application Form on 31st October 2019 and have been continuously resident at the same address since 1st May 2019, ie six months prior to the closing date for the Common Application Form.
SGadd

Post by SGadd »

This is a really interesting thread about parents being unhappy about people moving closer to the area for GS.

First of all, I will make it clear that I live about a mile from DCGS so I am a local resident and my eldest is 5. Both my boys were born in the area and my husband's family go back 300 years - in Amersham (I am Asian, my husband is English). However, my brother moved out of London to Amersham so his children can take the tests. Both my nephew and niece attended DCGS and DGHS. He moved when my niece (eldest of the two) was in Year 4 so easily met all the requirements. Both exceptionally bright children but were tutored and did kumon too.

I am just surprised so many parents are stating that this is unjust. 11+ itself is unjust and parents will do anything they can to secure the best lives for their children. In addition, everyone in the whole country pay the same taxes etc so it seems ridiculous that only certain counties have the 11+. It should be more widespread or abolished altogether. Why should my tax fund GS if my children cannot be considered?

I definitely do not blame parents for playing the system. Only way to change this unfair system is to do what Finland does. Abolish all private, grammar and religious schools and make it compulsory that children attend their local school. While we are it, we should make it illegal to tutor your children or give them any sort of advantage over others.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

SGadd wrote: I am just surprised so many parents are stating that this is unjust. 11+ itself is unjust and parents will do anything they can to secure the best lives for their children. In addition, everyone in the whole country pay the same taxes etc so it seems ridiculous that only certain counties have the 11+. It should be more widespread or abolished altogether. Why should my tax fund GS if my children cannot be considered?

I definitely do not blame parents for playing the system. Only way to change this unfair system is to do what Finland does. Abolish all private, grammar and religious schools and make it compulsory that children attend their local school. While we are it, we should make it illegal to tutor your children or give them any sort of advantage over others.
I agree that the 11+ is unfair, but let's not forget that houses in catchment of a 'good' school are more expensive and so there's inequality that way too.

I'd just like to remind everyone that grammar schools are state schools and don't receive any extra funding, so essentially you are arguing that you should only pay for schools that your child can attend-if that were the case we wouldn't have any state education! It's often thought that grammars are 'better' but this is frequently because of the student cohort. Grammars have all the same issues as comprehensives so everyone needs to check that they actually like the school!

In case anyone is wondering, I want my kids at grammar purely for commuting reasons. Of our 6 closest schools, 4 are grammars. Although in catchment for the other 2 we are too far away to actually get a place. So it's a choice of a 10 minute walk or an hour on a bus each way. I know some kids do spend hours commuting, but I hated it and don't want to put my kids through it.

I'm also intrigued by the concept of banning tutoring. Where do you draw the line?! Would parents not be able to listen to their children read? Stop DIY tutoring? What about people who don't have the education/time to support their children? If you want to allow parents to support their children, then how about someone who gets grandma to help? Is the boundary when you pay someone to support your child? My parents (household income £16k) spent a bit of money for GCSE biology tuition, after every biology lesson I had was a walk on the local hill... lovely, but no educational value! I managed to teach myself most of the curriculum, but the entire class paid for a tutor for a term to cover the more complex topics. I wouldn't have been able to get into my desired career without that tutoring. And yes, we'd made many complaints.

TLDR: grammars don't get extra funding, they're not automatically outstanding and it's basically impossible in my view to stop tutoring.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I do think the tutoring industry should be regulated, but I don’t think it can be banned.

Regulating it would help safeguard everyone, parents, children and tutors.
BucksorHert?

Post by BucksorHert? »

SGadd wrote:This is a really interesting thread about parents being unhappy about people moving closer to the area for GS.

First of all, I will make it clear that I live about a mile from DCGS so I am a local resident and my eldest is 5. Both my boys were born in the area and my husband's family go back 300 years - in Amersham (I am Asian, my husband is English). However, my brother moved out of London to Amersham so his children can take the tests. Both my nephew and niece attended DCGS and DGHS. He moved when my niece (eldest of the two) was in Year 4 so easily met all the requirements. Both exceptionally bright children but were tutored and did kumon too.

I am just surprised so many parents are stating that this is unjust. 11+ itself is unjust and parents will do anything they can to secure the best lives for their children. In addition, everyone in the whole country pay the same taxes etc so it seems ridiculous that only certain counties have the 11+. It should be more widespread or abolished altogether. Why should my tax fund GS if my children cannot be considered?

In addition to the above, everyone should earn the same, live in the same standard of house according to number of family, in fact everyone should have an allocation of how much and what type of food we can buy etc. :lol: