travel to Borlase, SWBGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mrstalal

travel to Borlase, SWBGS

Post by mrstalal »

could someone please guide me on transport to Borlase.I may not be able to drive.i live in maidenhead in catchment of Borlase.need to check teavel options before submitting mt CAF.thanks
scary mum

Re: travel to Borlase, SWBGS

Post by scary mum »

Have you checked the transport section on the BCC website? As mentioned before, the chances of you getting SWBGS from Maidenhead are minimal. If it really is your favourite & you can find out how to get there, there is no harm in putting it down, but have something else on your list you would be happy with, as it is likely to be a wasted space on your CAF. How far are you (straight line distance) from SWBGS?
I think there is unlikely to be transport from Maidenhead given how tight the distances have been for the last few years. There may be something for older pupils, but of course that might stop when they leave.

ETA I will move your post to Bucks.
scary mum
mrstalal

Post by mrstalal »

thanks for ur reply .my straightline distance is 3.2 miles.i heard about some bus/ train service in open evening thats why asked.unfortunately, school is closed since last week for 2 weeks term break.dont want to be offered a place without checking the travel options.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There are some bus links here but I’m not sure if they would cover all the transport options the school may use. I couldn’t Find anything on their website.
https://closures.buckscc.gov.uk/Transport.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Hopefully someone can give you some information.
I have just double checked the figures and the last time your daughter would have got a place at SWBGS was in 2015. There is no reason to suppose that there will be a sudden reversal this year (of course there will be some siblings going from Maidenhead).
ETA there are some on that list which go from the Maidenhead area to SWBGS but they appear to be taxi companies, so you could call them. Just be aware that as numbers from Maidenhead dwindle they may no longer run the service.
scary mum
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

The SSWB939 goes along the A4, up Ray Mead Avenue, through Cookham and Bourne End to SWBGS

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... -bus-stop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

The vast majority of the Maidenhead students go on the train - mainly from Furze Platt. I think there’s still a school bus but it’s ridiculously expensive if out of county.

As others have said the last time all f catchment was offered is the current year 11.

The admissions policy has changed slightly from next year as you’re probably aware increasing PAN from 120 to 150 (the 5th class used to join in year 9). But catchment has extended slightly and some priority given to the Bucks villages along the Hambleden valley.

As a result who knows what next years offers will look like but it is a fair assumption the distances will increase from this year and could well take all of catchment, If you’re in catchment you must be near Furze Platt so that’s definitely your best option.
Last edited by kittymum on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Re school bus - unless you are entitled to free transport which you won’t be - the Bucks CC will give no garuntee of bus place and won’t let you know if you get one until the summer.
mrstalal

Post by mrstalal »

Many thanks ladies.Yes, i live in furz platt and am aware of increase in PAN.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

mrstalal wrote:Many thanks ladies.Yes, i live in furz platt and am aware of increase in PAN.
My children are at Borlase (although we’re no Maidenhead).

Seriously the train is your best bet. It’ll be cheaper and give far more flexibility when you have after school sports fixtures etc. There are a lot of students on the train and it’s such a short walk to school from the station. It’s a reliable train line too.

If you’re near Furze Platt and in catchment I would say that if you put it first on your CAF the chances are high you will get a place.

As you probably know the traffic getting into Marlow in the morning is diabolical so the train is definitely the more environmentally friendly option then another car sitting in a queue to get over the bridge :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now