Wycombe High school vs BGS(Burnham Grammar School0

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mrstalal

Wycombe High school vs BGS(Burnham Grammar School0

Post by mrstalal »

my daughter offered place in our 2nd option , Wycombe high which we accepted but stayed on waiting list of our first choice , Burnham Grammar School. Just now, she has been offered place in BGS as she stands at position 1 of BGS waiting list. Could someone please advise from their or somebody's experience if its worth leaving Wycome high for BGS. BGS is nearer to my house and for Wycombe high,she needs to travel by bus. The only concern I have with Wycombe school is if Wycombe high puts too much pressure on kids. I don't want much pressure as some good schools tend to do. If anyone could tell me good and bad things about both the schools, if you know of any. This would help my decision making easier. I have to give final answer in 3 days.thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Wycombe High school vs BGS(Burnham Grammar School0

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know the specific schools but think it would be a good idea to go back to why you decided that you wanted BGS higher on the list than WHS -what were the reasons?

Are those reasons still valid?

How did you feel when you visited them?

You have probably all got used to the idea of Wycombe and that is perfectly OK - how does your DD feel about the potential change?

Travel and the time it takes out of the day is not to be ignored - though clealry depends how far the trip actually is
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They are very different schools, for a start one is mixed & one is just girls. If that is important to you, then you need to think about it. Personally I would go for the closer school, but you need to think about where your daughter might be happiest, and only you can know that. Why did you put BGS as number 1 originally? Do those reasons still hold? If so go for BGS.
Also bear in mind that if she goes to Burnham she will have more local friends. There may be problems with school buses in September due to social distancing (there were also issue with school buses& adaptations for disabled children, I don't know if those were resolved), which is also something to think about, although hopefully those problems won't be long term.
I can answer specific questions about BGS if that helps. I know little about WHS I'm afraid.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

given that the issies with coronavirus and transport are unlikely to go by September, a school that’s close by is a huge plus. I have a DD at BGS who is very happy there, she does have a journey to get to school, and is in year 9. For us it was worth the travel but also we strongly prefer co-ed. The BGs mix is not 50:50, more boys than girls, as some Bucks girls whose parents want single sex school take them to Becky high instead.
you can PM me if you have specific questions but like scarymum I know nothing of Wycombe high.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now