Difference between Kent and bucks test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
misspiggy

Difference between Kent and bucks test?

Post by misspiggy »

Is there a difference between them?
scary mum

Re: Difference between Kent and bucks test?

Post by scary mum »

They are not the same. Details of the Kent test are here
scary mum
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you for the link Scarymum. I assumed that because the test was administered by GL, that it would be the same format. It’s because I was looking at the familiarisation paper for Kent and thought they looked very similar to the ones for Bucks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Hi

The content is the same, but split differently. This of course does not mean the actual questions will be identical, they will more than likely change that up, using questions from their extensive bank.

Bucks

Test 1 - English (comprehension and SPAG) Verbal Reasoning

Test 2 - NVR, Spatial, Maths

Bucks Familiarisation Booklet

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451563 ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kent

Test 1 - Reasoning - NVR, Spatial and Verbal Reasoning

Test 2 - English (comprehension and SPAG) and Maths

Kent Familiarisation Booklet

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you Patricia, you've provided a very useful summary.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

um yes, there’s a difference between them.

About fifty miles.

So unless you’re living in one and about to move to the other, just look at the one that yoj actually live near (because Bucks tests are only on distance from
the school so there is no point at all
in trying to do both!)
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Aethel wrote:um yes, there’s a difference between them.

About fifty miles.

So unless you’re living in one and about to move to the other, just look at the one that yoj actually live near (because Bucks tests are only on distance from
the school so there is no point at all
in trying to do both!)

Its been a while since I last logged in, but I thought it was implied that my question was in relation to the content of both tests ... obviously not

Note to self: state what you're asking for expressly and be clear to avoid misinterpretation.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

That's because it sounds as though you're entering a child for both tests, so the distance advice is good.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Yes, I wasn’t trying to be facetious there.

Many visitors to this forum post similar questions because they are taking the “any grammar will do” approach (note, I am not implying you do!).
We can’t reiterate enough that putting a child in for an exam they have no hope of getting a place for due to the school criteria is a) unfair to that child and b) may deprive another more local child of that chance for a place because your (capable) child has slightly raised the pass mark by doing well. this happens all the time in Bucks because there are so many well-out-of-county entrants who have virtually no chance of a place, but this makes it very difficult for naturally bright but non-tutored Bucks schoolchildren to pass and get a place in their very local grammar school. If you are Bucks or Bucks border then the very best of luck to your DC. But if you live in Kent please discount the Bucks test as it should be of no relevence to you.... we see time after time posters with names like “hopeful parent” or “really nice guy” (I hope those aren’t real usernames, apologies in advance if they are!!) who have put their DC in with the scattergun approach and sometimes even ask AFTER the test what the school criteria are, or if <insert school> is any good....
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Aethel wrote:Yes, I wasn’t trying to be facetious there.

Many visitors to this forum post similar questions because they are taking the “any grammar will do” approach (note, I am not implying you do!).
We can’t reiterate enough that putting a child in for an exam they have no hope of getting a place for due to the school criteria is a) unfair to that child and b) may deprive another more local child of that chance for a place because your (capable) child has slightly raised the pass mark by doing well. this happens all the time in Bucks because there are so many well-out-of-county entrants who have virtually no chance of a place, but this makes it very difficult for naturally bright but non-tutored Bucks schoolchildren to pass and get a place in their very local grammar school. If you are Bucks or Bucks border then the very best of luck to your DC. But if you live in Kent please discount the Bucks test as it should be of no relevence to you.... we see time after time posters with names like “hopeful parent” or “really nice guy” (I hope those aren’t real usernames, apologies in advance if they are!!) who have put their DC in with the scattergun approach and sometimes even ask AFTER the test what the school criteria are, or if <insert school> is any good....

Understood, I didn't realise people did that. I agree, its extremely unfair for all involved. someone passed me a Kent 2018 past paper. I was simply interested to hear what the differences between our papers are compared to Kent.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now