Results 2020. Do not post scores over 121 (see point 7)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSheikh

Re: Do not post scores over 121. See point 7.

Post by SSheikh »

Hi all

we have had a score of 118 unfortunately, which, having gone through the 11 plus bucks 3 times before successfully, has come as a big shock, as this DC was performing very well consistently leading up to the test and is academically the strongest. We are trying to get over the shock and disappointment, whilst considering an appeal or a review. We will need all the help we can get please!

Can I please ask, are Head Teacher support and school evidence of academic strength harder to get from out of county schools? We are based in MK so have applied and were hopeful to be considered for 3 bucks grammar schools.

Thanks for your support.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

SSheikh wrote:Can I please ask, are Head Teacher support and school evidence of academic strength harder to get from out of county schools?
Welcome to the forum, and so sorry to hear your news.

As this is a general question, I'll reply on here, but please remember to start your own thread on appeals if you need specific help with your case (point 13 in the first post).

The answer rather depends on the headteacher.
• Out of county partner schools are familiar with the Bucks system, and are usually experienced in handling this sort of situation, and willing to co-operate.
• Other heads in out of county non-selective areas may be strongly opposed to grammar school selection, and I'm afraid they may offer little or no support.
• Some heads may be willing to help, but don't necessarily know how to word their support to best effect. See B48 and E32 (although these were written before covid-19): https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also B20 "The head teacher can’t (or won’t) help with a letter of support": https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(This was written for an appeal, but some of it could apply to the review form as well.)
Etienne
SSheikh

Post by SSheikh »

Thank you SO much, Etienne. I will start a separate thread in the designated place as you suggest. I am truly grateful for all the support and guidance on this site.
Askey

Post by Askey »

My DD qualified. Many thanks to all on this forum for their valuable advice and support. It made this11 plus journey more interesting and bearable.....

Unlike previous years, many from my DD's primary school has qualified. In fact they have about 15 from their school whereas in previous years the average has been around 6. If this is the case acoss the County, it will affect the Catchments greatly, nevertheless it will be great to see many local kids getting in to grammars....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Askey wrote:My DD qualified. Many thanks to all on this forum for their valuable advice and support. It made this11 plus journey more interesting and bearable.....

Unlike previous years, many from my DD's primary school has qualified. In fact they have about 15 from their school whereas in previous years the average has been around 6. If this is the case acoss the County, it will affect the Catchments greatly, nevertheless it will be great to see many local kids getting in to grammars....
Probably a chance happening - does happen from time to time with relatively small numbers
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

hermanmunster wrote:
Askey wrote:My DD qualified. Many thanks to all on this forum for their valuable advice and support. It made this11 plus journey more interesting and bearable.....

Probably a chance happening - does happen from time to time with relatively small numbers
Yes, it happened (many years ago) in my son's school - half the boys qualified, not quite so many girls but still a bumper year.
scary mum
Champa

Post by Champa »

My youngest DC qualified, but as I said to my DC beforehand and even after the result it didn't matter what the outcome would be - knowing DC worked hard was all that truly mattered for us and our faith in God that he guides us whatever the outcome is good enough.
Last edited by Champa on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Might be worth comparing it with 2008-9 when there was a similar discussion, many people worried about being able to afford school fees then - some schools closed as result but most carried on. I think some parents held off on decisions until the last minute though

Who knows what will happen :? . There are many who are no worse off at present and have less to spend there money on, also grandparents not able to splash the cash on cruises etc.
Champa

Post by Champa »

A really really good point referencing the last economic downturn and useful to see what the data looks like for 2007 compared to 08 and 09- although I think the 2008-09 crash wasn't as severe and potentially damaging long term to regain confidence from what I recall.The recovery pain is yet to kick in.
Last edited by Champa on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is also the view that private schools seem to have provided better for on line learning during the lockdown, with many having full days of on line lessons. I have no idea how the Bucks grammar schools fared but I could see that those who can afford it might be attracted by this.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now