Results 2020. Do not post scores over 121 (see point 7)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Champa

Re: Do not post scores over 121. See point 7.

Post by Champa »

scary mum wrote:There is also the view that private schools seem to have provided better for on line learning during the lockdown, with many having full days of on line lessons. I have no idea how the Bucks grammar schools fared but I could see that those who can afford it might be attracted by this.
Good question, from our experience the GS's provided reasonably good results on online learning - it took one a bit of time to get up to speed but on the whole they both did very well and were quick to identify pupils who didn't keep up the momentum. Google classroom came into its (full) element as did the behaviour point system.
Last edited by Champa on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Just from friends I've spoken to in Bucks, many said they had been hearing of lots of low scores this year. I wonder how much the variable learning has affected this year's cohort. I think those children whose parents could afford tuition/private prep school/were able to spend time checking what their children were really learning - would have an advantage this year.
Champa

Post by Champa »

Deb70 wrote:Just from friends I've spoken to in Bucks, many said they had been hearing of lots of low scores this year. I wonder how much the variable learning has affected this year's cohort. I think those children whose parents could afford tuition/private prep school/were able to spend time checking what their children were really learning - would have an advantage this year.
Possibly, but aside from 11+ tuition courses (if parents chose this route) or parents themselves helping their DC's (or indeed did both), I would say most prep schools actually provide 'zero' preparation for the test and they just tend to focus on the usual traditional teaching subjects in the classroom (and rightly so) and don't expend any time to prep their students for the test. This may differ from school to school.

We'll get a clearer picture on allocations and the bell curve on performance in the Spring which may shed more light I guess.
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

Hi all - this has been our family's third run at the Bucks 11+, and our first on the GL version. DC3 did pass, which really didn't feel like a dead cert when we were practising VR a couple of months ago! So pleased he'll be at the same school as his older brother. As I'm sure other families can attest, having two older children in GS can really pile the pressure onto the youngest, even if you're really trying to keep everything relaxed!

Best wishes to everyone going for a selection review. And roll on the end of Covid - what a strange year it's been.
Champa

Post by Champa »

BiscuitEater wrote:Hi all - this has been our family's third run at the Bucks 11+, and our first on the GL version. DC3 did pass, which really didn't feel like a dead cert when we were practising VR a couple of months ago! So pleased he'll be at the same school as his older brother. As I'm sure other families can attest, having two older children in GS can really pile the pressure onto the youngest, even if you're really trying to keep everything relaxed!

Best wishes to everyone going for a selection review. And roll on the end of Covid - what a strange year it's been.
As a parent of 3 with DC3 doing the test and trying to follow the footsteps of 1&2 I can totally equate to the points you make.
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

It's hard to avoid, isn't it Champa? I struggled to find a balance between insisting that DC3 applied himself and worked hard, and not making it all "GS or bust." With the older two I could make it clearer that for me it was about the work and the trying your best no matter what the score was, but with him I could just see the sibling rivalry/comparisons bubbling up regardless.

So glad it's all done now! I will not miss self-tutoring at all, I have to admit. :lol:
Champa

Post by Champa »

BiscuitEater wrote:It's hard to avoid, isn't it Champa? I struggled to find a balance between insisting that DC3 applied himself and worked hard, and not making it all "GS or bust." With the older two I could make it clearer that for me it was about the work and the trying your best no matter what the score was, but with him I could just see the sibling rivalry/comparisons bubbling up regardless.

So glad it's all done now! I will not miss self-tutoring at all, I have to admit. :lol:
I literally can’t add any more to the situation than how you describe it - ditto - it was exactly the same for us; irony was we didn’t care so much about the result tbh jus as long as we knew DC took the best shot at it and that was it. All the best
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now