Bucks GL exam....how is it different?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aethel

Bucks GL exam....how is it different?

Post by Aethel »

I’m a long time frequenter of this forum, having DIY’d two DDs through the system...

Thanks to the age gap of my DC, My DS is now year 4. we are remote learning from school (thanks, covid 19) , and I have one eye ahead on next year. I have always resisted over-tutoring as I don’t think it does the children any favours, but am a bit nervous that the amount of disruption this year to education will affect his school related achievements (SPAG, grammar etc. He”s pretty good at maths so less of an issue)

I know in my “absence” Bucks has changed to GL: so went to look at the CGP practice books, but was a bit confused about how the exam in Bucks is structured.
CEM (Bucks and Slough) used to be snappy 5-10 minute sections, so paced the kids and they just had to work fast within each section. Does the Bucks GL have one single long section and kids have to learn how to work fast and pace themselves (harder to do for some children, who may get bogged down)?

And I thought that GL was meant to be “learn 21 types of VR” type rigid ie practicable because you got the same question thpes/styles over and over: is this true for Bucks GL?
We vaguely looked at a VR book and it had things like codes and “words within words” that were not seen at all in CEM.

Advice very much appreciated, because if there’s more specific prep required than for the CEM style, I may need to start gentle DIY a bit earlier this time around! (before we only ever did DIY prep from Sept y5)
patricia

Re: Bucks GL exam....how is it different?

Post by patricia »

Hi Aethel

Take a look at my first post in the following link.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
Deb70

Re: Bucks GL exam....how is it different?

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, yes I had one DC do the CEM and another did the first GL test. They are very different. The DC who sat the CEM said he didn't like the look of the GL because of the VR questions, and yes they do need to know how to tackle them and time pace themselves.