Choosing Between Sir Henry Floyd and Aylesbury Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
polapts

Choosing Between Sir Henry Floyd and Aylesbury Grammar

Post by polapts »

Hello,

Yet another question on choosing between two schools, SHFGS vs AGS. My son is an avarage to above avarage in studies and seems to be interested in Maths, not particularly good at any sport but likes to participate anyway.

When I compare between these schools on the school comparison website, AGS appears to be statistically better than SHFGS. Would be great if anyone has any opinion on these schools.

I know defining "better" is subjective and relative but any more info would be good to have.

Thank You
Deb70

Re: Choosing Between Sir Henry Floyd and Aylesbury Grammar

Post by Deb70 »

AGS is more traditional (eg they do Latin and classics, they write in books), Floyd is just as good but has a more modern feel, it's boys and girls and they use iPads :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They use Chromebooks actually ...

Floyd is better from a pastoral care point of view; don't compare raw results as GCSE progress is better at the Floyd.

From your description of your son, Floyd would be a better match - sport is good but they are more relaxed about it.

It has a more modern feel to the buildings and the way it repairs students for the modern world.
AylesburyMum

Post by AylesburyMum »

I have 2 boys at AGS and they are both happy and making good progress. One is very sporty and the other not at all. We thought the non sporty one might have preferred SHF but he really didn't like it when we visited (the dance studio put him off completely!).
The pastoral care has been excellent too. We have needed to contact both staff and the SEND team and have found them all approachable and really supportive. I have more than one friend who have found pastoral support lacking at SHF, but am sure this will vary depending on individual circumstances. I just know our experience of AGS so far has been fantastic and both boys are pleased with their decision.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dance should be taught at both schools - it's part if the PE curriculum!

Floyd have had National success at Rock challenge and were nominated for an SEN national award too.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

One of my DS went to Floyd, other two are at AGS. For me and with experience of both I would recommend AGS over Floyd, although Floyd were really good. Floyd has had a change of Head since my eldest went there. Just our experience though.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I have a DC at SHFS. I would recommend it. To be fair I have experienced many secondary schools and apart from the usual hassle of getting parents evenings appointments this school has been the least stressful. I have no experience of AGS but two of my children attended a single sex Grammar and I would always opt for co-Ed where possible.
kronenborg

Post by kronenborg »

i cannot comment directly on AGS, however i do have one yr 9 daughter at SHFGS, and one yr 7 daughter at AHS (the all-girl grammar).

from direct comparison so far, i would say that discipline in general seems to be better at AHS, and we feel far better informed from the school about what is going on, and how our daughter is doing.

the daughter at AHS (so far, at least) seems to enjoy it more there than does the daughter at SHFGS.

unless either you or your son have very strong views about single sex vs co-ed education, i would make sure you consider both schools equally.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now