2nd round allocations 2021 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pn8572

Re: 2nd round allocations 2021 entry

Post by pn8572 »

vjm wrote:Does anyone know why so many ppl declined offer from DCHS this year ? Also it went till 3.857 miles ( out of catchment siblings) in 2nd round
Maybe many got offered from independent schools or HBS or similar schools?
I am thinking DCHS is more popular than BHS !
As per the latest tables, BHS is slightly above DCHS, hence the demand.
https://britannia-study.com.my/top-grammar-schools-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( scroll down to the bottom) -
This is just a random search. There are many other similar tables that you may find online.
PP
berksmum123

Post by berksmum123 »

Indeed an interesting pattern to note. This makes it so difficult for parents to choose the six schools on the application.
Parents will ideally use the previous year's data but as we can see it changed drastically this year. You may think you are out of catchment and quiet further away from school so will not be offered but who knows how it will all stack up i.e. Aylesbury High School offered for a distance of 13.2 miles :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The Aylesbury schools tend to go further out because they are close to the coutryside so the applicants are spread out further.
Your points are valid though - things change from year to year and it's hard to predict with any accuracy.
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

pn8572 wrote:
vjm wrote:Does anyone know why so many ppl declined offer from DCHS this year ? Also it went till 3.857 miles ( out of catchment siblings) in 2nd round
Maybe many got offered from independent schools or HBS or similar schools?
I am thinking DCHS is more popular than BHS !
As per the latest tables, BHS is slightly above DCHS, hence the demand.
https://britannia-study.com.my/top-grammar-schools-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( scroll down to the bottom) -
This is just a random search. There are many other similar tables that you may find online.
I don't think parents would really differentiate between two schools so close to each other & one place apart on a league table? The difference that would make to their child is negligible. The popularity of all schools waxes & wanes every year. In fact this year, there was little difference between preferences between the two schools, BHS had 177 Bucks applicants who put is as first choice (92% of these got a place on March 1st) & DCHS had 174 Bucks applicants who put it as first choice, with 91% getting a place on March 1st.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also, the Bucks grammar schools do have formal catchment areas, I think (I remember seeing a map with boundary lines on it)? - your house is either in catchment for, say, DCHS or it isn't. The boundary doesn't change from year to year unless it actually does, officially, which would have involved a formal consultation c.15 months before the allocation day in question.

Where distance is a discriminator between applicants, then there is likely to be a difference, large or small, from one year to the next, depending on how wide the spread of applicants is, etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
vjm

Post by vjm »

Sharing the following link ,found it useful to understand how many moved into county after deadline.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1776126
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Goodness, that's quite a number. Of course many of those may not be applying to grammar schools, but there must be a lot of disappointed people who have moved hoping to get access to their chosen school, whether grammar or upper school.
scary mum
vjm

Post by vjm »

FOI request answering no of vacancies in few grammars after 2nd round .
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1780475
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now