2nd round allocations 2021 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: 2nd round allocations 2021 entry

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:As far as I know, this information is not given as the waiting list numbers can change from day to day, they just update the figures with category under which pupils are offered places. Can anyone confirm this?
Given the rules about waiting lists, I find the concept of a 'waiting list number', very odd (it's why I keep asking, is it genuinely something fixed at the outset, like your ticket number in a Clarks children's section? Because if it is, either the school must be breaking the law by allocating numbers to new joiners to the list purely on temporal grounds and keeping them in that order regardless, or it must get very messy when applicant numbered, numerically, 'Y' joins the list and must, according to the Admissions Code, be placed between 'B' and 'C'). In any sane - and legal - system, one has a place on a waiting list, which can change over time. Either nearer to the top, or further away.

I have to say, I've only come across it on here - out in our local version of the real world, schools and parents alike speak of applicants being Xth on a waiting list etc. And schools don't put on their websites that the list has 'reached number X', for the reasons given above.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
berksmum123

Post by berksmum123 »

My daughter has got second priority school Burnham Grammer School (BGS) and I was hoping if she can get through Becky High (BHS) which was our first priority. We are from outside catchment for BHS but going by last year's allocation I thought we stand a realistic chance though I know the OOC distance keep changing every year. She is on 29th position on the waiting list so not sure if she has got any realistic chance. Our preference was purely based on grammer school rankings though BGS is within our walking distance vs BHS which is 15 mins drive away.

Appreciate if somebody can also let us know about BGS based on recent experience. We attended an online introduction evening session recently and was impressed about the curriculum and the extra activities which are lined up for the kids. Their ofstead rating is also based on quiet an old inspection so not a realistic indication of school performance. I know quiet a few kids who opted for BGS as their first choice inspite of clearing Slough Consortium exams. Seems to be a popular choice I guess :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have had 3 children go through BGS. The obvious difference is that it is mixed. Honestly, if you are walking distance I would stick with BGS, it's a great school, far better to have local friends & to be able to walk to school rather than relying on school buses, or having to collect after the after school activities. We liked the fact that it is fairly normal school without any airs & graces. It is a very different school to BHS though, so it depends what you are looking for.
scary mum
berksmum123

Post by berksmum123 »

scary mum wrote:I have had 3 children go through BGS. The obvious difference is that it is mixed. Honestly, if you are walking distance I would stick with BGS, it's a great school, far better to have local friends & to be able to walk to school rather than relying on school buses, or having to collect after the after school activities. We liked the fact that it is fairly normal school without any airs & graces. It is a very different school to BHS though, so it depends what you are looking for.
Thank you Scary mum. It's helpful. Couple of questions:

- are your kids still at the school or your experience is slightly dated?
- in what respect is BHS different to BGS? I am fairly new to this area and as I said my choices were purely ranking based.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My youngest left in the summer of 2019.
BGS has its pupils attending from Burnham, Slough, Maidenhead and the surrounding areas and has a very diverse pupil group. BHS is more of a "leafy Bucks" type of place. Quite a lot of the girls are from private schools, which I would say would be very unusual at BGS (I can't think of a single one amongst my DCs' groups). Of course the main difference is that one is all girls & one is mixed.
It's been such a shame that people haven't been able to visit this year. If it was me, I would go for BGS because of the journey, but I'm not you & don't know what you are looking for in a school. Your child as an individual is unlikely to get significantly different results at the two schools, and of course much can change in 7 years.
scary mum
berksmum123

Post by berksmum123 »

Thank you. With what you explained about pupil in BHS being from private schools, I get the reason why they might have better results which drives the grammer school rankings and why parents would want to prefer it over BGS.

I'll stick with BGS for now. All her friends are also at BGS so she is happy :o

What I am not sure is to leave her on the waiting list or possibly withdraw. If I don't withdraw her name she will automatically get a space in BHS, if it becomes available, and we will not be able to refuse. I was also looking to understand the movement of the waiting list in the past and chances of she getting through.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

berksmum123 wrote:Thank you. With what you explained about pupil in BHS being from private schools, I get the reason why they might have better results which drives the grammer school rankings and why parents would want to prefer it over BGS.

I'll stick with BGS for now. All her friends are also at BGS so she is happy :o

What I am not sure is to leave her on the waiting list or possibly withdraw. If I don't withdraw her name she will automatically get a space in BHS, if it becomes available, and we will not be able to refuse. I was also looking to understand the movement of the waiting list in the past and chances of she getting through.
Did they tell you where you were on the waiting list? If they haven't gone outside catchment in the second round it doesn't sound great. What is your distance from the school (straight line distance)? Things will be a little clearer once they publish the allocations & tell you where you are on the waiting list - these change all the time though, as people are offered other schools, or decide that they are happy with what they have been allocated. If your DD is happy with BGS, why not just take her off the list then she has some certainity about where she is going? It's a good school and soon they will have lovely new buildings (it's always been a bit scruffy).
scary mum
berksmum123

Post by berksmum123 »

Yes I did mention earlier that she is on 29th position. Bucks council is yet to release the details of the 2nd round allocation (7th April) hence no idea for now if they went outside the catchment. Last year they did and I am within the distance they offered the places to.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

berksmum123 wrote:Yes I did mention earlier that she is on 29th position. Bucks council is yet to release the details of the 2nd round allocation (7th April) hence no idea for now if they went outside the catchment. Last year they did and I am within the distance they offered the places to.
If the poster above who moved within a mile didn't get offered a place, they won't have gone outside catchment. I would think the chances of the list moving 29 places are extremely small but I don't know how many drop out along the way.
scary mum
vjm

Post by vjm »

I live 0.61 mile (straight line) away from school and my kid waiting list number is : 3.