GL Assessment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
East-West Parenting

GL Assessment

Post by East-West Parenting »

Hi

Do we know why Buckinghamshire CC went from Durham CEM to GL Assessment? What is the main difference between the two?

I thought they went to CEM because it was harder to coach for their assessments. Is GL Assessment being used for all grammar schools in the county?

Thank you.
scary mum

Re: GL Assessment

Post by scary mum »

It's one test for all the grammar schools in Bucks.
The contract with CEM was for 5 years, after that they contracted with GL (for another 5 years I think).
ETA I've just remembered that your child is in year 1. This is why it's not a good idea to focus on the 11 plus at such an early age. Things can (& do) change enormously in the space of a few years.
I don't think CEM claim that their tests are untutorable any more.
scary mum
East-West Parenting

scary mum wrote:It's one test for all the grammar schools in Bucks.
The contract with CEM was for 5 years, after that they contracted with GL (for another 5 years I think).
ETA I've just remembered that your child is in year 1. This is why it's not a good idea to focus on the 11 plus at such an early age. Things can (& do) change enormously in the space of a few years.
I don't think CEM claim that their tests are untutorable any more.
Thank you. My eldest is in reception at the moment, but is going into Year 1.
I do understand what you mean about prepping too early. It is more about him being ahead than prepping.

I think the GL Assessment seems better, but who knows. You mentioned before that Bucks isn't super selective. Which ones are?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can have a look here for information about grammar schools around the country.
Kent and Bucks are less selective than many as they operate a fully two tier system. Generally, anywhere that has both grammar & comprehensive schools or that takes pupils from anywhere (ie no catchment so highest scores get in) will be more selective - they have to be by their very nature.
scary mum
East-West Parenting

scary mum wrote:You can have a look here for information about grammar schools around the country.
Kent and Bucks are less selective than many as they operate a fully two tier system. Generally, anywhere that has both grammar & comprehensive schools or that takes pupils from anywhere (ie no catchment so highest scores get in) will be more selective - they have to be by their very nature.
Ah I see. Thank you for this.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

CEM no longer belongs to Durham as it has been sold to Cambridge.

The contracts come up every 4/5 years and the decisions tend to be money focused not content focused.

HBS, LATYMER, DAO and SW Herts all moved from CEM to GL when their contracts ended.

We are now on the third year of the contracts for the above schools so it could well change again in the next 2 years. DG
East-West Parenting

Daogroupie wrote:CEM no longer belongs to Durham as it has been sold to Cambridge.

The contracts come up every 4/5 years and the decisions tend to be money focused not content focused.

HBS, LATYMER, DAO and SW Herts all moved from CEM to GL when their contracts ended.

We are now on the third year of the contracts for the above schools so it could well change again in the next 2 years. DG
Thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now