Testing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
njg

Testing

Post by njg »

My son and i have done a lot of groundwork having looked at all the question types at least one.
When should we start testing? We're both a bit scared incase it all goes horribly wrong!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi njg

It is worth starting testing with short question papers or half a paper at a time.

Initially ignore timing, test him on whether he can complete a small range of different question types and variance within the question types. Then gradually move on to NFER papers then full papers.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The IPS 10 questions a day then the 30 minutes ones are quite useful.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Hi Mike

What do you mean by full papers. I thought the NFER were as close to the real thing as you can get - although I realise that the HIKNOS questions are not covered. I was saving the NFER to nearer the time is there something better to keep to last?
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi njg

I know exactly what you mean about feeling worried but to be honest I found that I only got a real feel for how well my daughter had understood once she started taking short tests. I used the method & technique book first and then the 10 questions a day as mentioned by guest55. I told my dd not to worry about time at all but to concentrate on getting as many right as she could by using the methods we had learnt even if that meant her taking it very slowly. I always kept the technique book close to hand(I still do) as a quick reminder for us. If you haven't got one I would really reccomend it.

Have you already bought test papers?

Melx
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi bucks mum 1

The NFER papers were written in 1996-97 when the content of some local authorities tests were different to current content. As they were written by NFER who set Real 11+ tests the publishers still claim that they are closest to the real tests.

However, for Buckinghamshire and other authorities who set 21 question type papers there is an obvious ommission from NFER papers of 6 question types and 1 question type is only covered on one of the four papers.

The NFER papers contain 85 questions, whereas the Bucks test contains 80 questions.

The tests in Bucks covers all 21 types in two papers. If you combine any two papers from NFER with only 15 question types, there is only one combination of two papers that cover the 15 types.

The NFER papers are good for test preparation for the first 15 types of questions. They are also useful for test preparation immediately before the tests as the student can see the format of the answer sheets.

With only four verbal reasoning papers published by NFER students will need to look at other publishers material, especially those that do cover all 21 question types with 80 question per paper, and do give full coverage of the 21 question types in two papers.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear njg

At this satge...

As you say you have done alot of ground work, perhaps start a few short tests from the IPS range [you can keep the res of the pack and use as part of your weekly regime]

Then get onto the 80 question tests, perhaps the first 6 of The Tutors followed by 8 from Bright Sparks and lastly the NFER,[ when testing NFER ensure HIKNOS is practiced along with all other types in your weekly sessions, and you cross off the last 5 questions]

I would keep your weekly time table to..

1] A test

2] 30/60 MINUTES, Dipping into various types, do not just cover types your child finds hard, keep on with ALL 21 [ could use the rest of the IPS tests, Walsh or the tutors last 6 ]

3] Vocab work, reading out loud, flash card games [put cards up round the house. Vocab is without a doubt the BIGGEST problem.]

No need to be scared! Its practice, practice, practice.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now