GL free familiarisation materials - how long for the tests?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Louey

GL free familiarisation materials - how long for the tests?

Post by Louey »

Final stretch of 11+ prep...

I've downloaded the free familiarisation tests from the GL website

https://11plus.gl-assessment.co.uk/free-materials/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I can't find any information about how long the practice tests should take. Does anyone know?
Aethel

Re: GL free familiarisation materials - how long for the tes

Post by Aethel »

hiya. the familiarisation booklet is just to show the sorts of questions and structures that your child may encounter: it’s not a mock test. the examples tend to be easier than the actual test (so as not to worry the children sitting them in advance). The actual “tryout” is the preperation practice test a few days before the real one (though this is not marked, it’s just to simulate the exam conditions for the children: again sometimes it’s a little easier than the real thing).
Louey

Post by Louey »

Thanks Aethel. I wondered if it was easier than the real test. I find it really hard to gauge what the level will be in the actual test. We've been doing lots of 10 min tests and they seem quite hard to me (at least some of them do) and we've done some mocks and the level in those varies quite a bit (particularly on NVR). I might be better off not bothering with the easier tests now and just get him to focus on those areas where he needs to improve. Any tips for getting him to properly read the question would be great!!!!
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I would concentrate on getting him calm and clear about his strategy.