Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Post by hermanmunster »

Proud-Dad wrote:
Not really. More appeals and government will take notice people want more grammar schools.
Unlikely - people with no chance (distance wise) taking the test and appealing means significant cost to the LEA, the government won't be concerned with that.

Suspect you may be overestimating the popularity of GS - about 70-75 % of children would not pass an 11 plus exam and hence more parents are interested in good (or the best) all ability they can possibly find for their child.
As a child I lived in an area with Grammar Schools and secondary moderns, it was an affluent area with motivated parents - it was said that for every child who failed the 11 plus there were 2 votes for comprehensive schools - and so it became in 1974.
Proud-Dad

Re: Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Post by Proud-Dad »

hermanmunster wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote:
Not really. More appeals and government will take notice people want more grammar schools.
Unlikely - people with no chance (distance wise) taking the test and appealing means significant cost to the LEA, the government won't be concerned with that.

Suspect you may be overestimating the popularity of GS - about 70-75 % of children would not pass an 11 plus exam and hence more parents are interested in good (or the best) all ability they can possibly find for their child.
As a child I lived in an area with Grammar Schools and secondary moderns, it was an affluent area with motivated parents - it was said that for every child who failed the 11 plus there were 2 votes for comprehensive schools - and so it became in 1974.
There should be atleast 1 grammar school in every city for those that want them. Its easy to not want anymore sitting in a 6 bedroom Buckinghamshire cottage sipping on wine in a 100 yard garden seeing green trees. These people in areas with high number of grammar schools are just lucky to be born in them areas. I doubt they would have done better if they were born in say Hackney or in the Northolt estate.

If more schools were built, I can guarantee the demand for these Buckinghamshire, Kent or other schools would go away.