Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:03 pm 

Hi
We live in staines (TW18 postcode) . The school is in slough area and hence easily commutable from staines. My DD will be writing her transfer test in next two weeks. Just wanted to check if we are in catchment area and if not is there any chance she might be able to get a place in that school.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:15 pm 

it all comes down to distance - the allocation profiles for the Bucks schools are here:

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451654 ... -final.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:07 pm 

To be honest you are wasting your time and Buckinghamshire Council's money, as well as giving yourselves unnecessary stress having your DD sit the test. It must be some years since anyone got into BGS from Staines. How many miles are you from the school (straight line distance)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:40 pm 

Didn't you check this before entering your child for the test?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:03 pm 

nope, miles away, not a chance I’m afraid (unless you move to Bucks right now, as in literally in the next few weeks, ie before the results are out).
We live in SL3 and even our area is out of distance and out of cachement (we are 5 miles as the crow flies. In cschement is Bucks and a little bit of Slough (Cippenham only).
Last year anyone over 3 miles didn’t get allocated a place: you can find all the distances in a sticky at the top of the Bucks section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:41 pm 

arvind2709 wrote:
Hi
We live in staines (TW18 postcode) . The school is in slough area and hence easily commutable from staines. My DD will be writing her transfer test in next two weeks. Just wanted to check if we are in catchment area and if not is there any chance she might be able to get a place in that school.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

Let me know how it goes. Can you appeal?

I'm in a similar boat. Son did the test today and he is confident he done well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:39 pm 

Proud-Dad wrote:
arvind2709 wrote:
Hi

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

It would appeal on the basis of oversubscription

last year there were 361 out of county year 7 appeals for Bucks Grammar Schools - of these 12 (or approx 3%) were successful

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... l-appeals/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote:
arvind2709 wrote:
Hi

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

It would appeal on the basis of oversubscription

last year there were 361 out of county year 7 appeals for Bucks Grammar Schools - of these 12 (or approx 3%) were successful

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... l-appeals/

Not many were successful and they are trying to recommend people not to appeal lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:29 pm 

Proud-Dad wrote:

Not many were successful and they are trying to recommend people not to appeal lol

seems sensible to advise people not to appeal / not to apply in the first place, there simply aren't enough GS places in Bucks for all those who pass the 11 plus

The success rate for OOC GS appelas of about 3% means that large number of people go through significant stress and uncertainty without the outcome they hoped for

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote:

seems sensible to advise people not to appeal / not to apply in the first place, there simply aren't enough GS places in Bucks for all those who pass the 11 plus

The success rate for OOC GS appelas of about 3% means that large number of people go through significant stress and uncertainty without the outcome they hoped for

Not really. More appeals and government will take notice people want more grammar schools.